Monday, May 05, 2008

Funny Stuff

Yesterday, in the comments, Cali said:

"Hee hee it's so funny to hear that in your first blog you didn't think you would ever get into socks!"

That is funny. It's especially funny since today I finished pair number TWENTY

Yarn: Tinsel Toes from Unique Sheep, in the Doctors Without Borders colourway
Pattern: Dove Socks, from New Pathways for Sock Knitters by Cat Bordhi, which has got to be my new favourite book.

I love these socks. They are incredibly smooshy and wonderful. The yarn was a joy to knit with. I am working really hard to restrain myself from maxing out the credit card on more of this yarn. But I'm going to be doing some more test knitting for Laura...which means reward yarn! Whoot!

Also in the comments yesterday, Kathleen asked if I had finished the socks that were making me question my ability to knit socks.

Why, yes I did. The first one became an "FO" in this post. And you can read about their completion here. What's funny about that entry is that I curse them and declare my love for them...in the same sentence (that post also has a pretty funny pic of Cate and her matchy matchy doll). What's not funny is what happened on their first day out...you can read that here. What matters though is that Pink Socks and I have a very good relationship now, they are in regular sock-wearing rotation now. They are my favs for when I'm going to be wearing my sneakers for a long time (like an all day shopping trip).

I learned not to use 2mm needles for sock knitting, I use 2.5mm typically. Why a half millimetre makes such a difference I have no idea, I just know it does. But Pink Socks on 2mm needles took me about 8 months to finish. Mostly because knitting them made my eyes hurt. Too small stitches!

The moral of the story is that socks really are addictive. Moments after taking the pic of pair number twenty, I cast on pair number twenty-one.

Wanna know something else that's pretty funny? Saturday the children and I took off on a letterboxing adventure that brought us to the Halifax Waterfront. I let the children check out Murphy's Company Store. While checking out the tourist stuff and the toys I found these

Nothing says "Canada" like Big Bird dressed as a moose, and nothing says "Nova Scotia" like Elmo in a raincoat. Gah.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Big bird dressed up as a moose cracks me up.

Funny, I always thought I would be really into knitting socks - nope. All my projects seem to revolve around lace lately.

Cali said...

20!? 20!? wow! and i am just half way through the first one!

Love those socks with the decreases in the front!

Knittynutter said...

I love those socks!!