When my first Secret Pal 11 package arrived, I found some beautiful blue merino roving and an Ashford drop spindle. The spindle is beautiful, and it felt much more sturdy and solid than the one I bought before. I decided to give it another shot. I played around with it a bit, but still it was not clicking.
Then I got inspired to let my knitting leak into my education. I got very excited about the prospect of a spinning demonstration as part of the presentation. It hit me about 2 days before the due date.
I needed to figure out this drop spindle thing before I could show others how to do it.
So, one night while Phil was at work, my kiddies were all snug in their beds...I sat down with the fibre and the drop spindle...my "Spin It" book and the information sheets that my SP11 partner sent to me.
This time...it clicked. Suddenly, it all came together and holy crap I was actually making yarn! Not just yarn...but usable yarn!
It's far from perfect, but there it is:

The pretty blue merino did not spin up a whole lot (probably would have been more had I not used up some in false starts and the inconsistencies in the yarn)

I wanted to make something with this that I could keep for a while. I thought about using it to edge a hat or a scarf, but that did not really appeal to me. Then one day I stumbled upon this pattern here. And I immediately knew what my wee skein of handspun would be.
I am pleased to introduce....

George.
He now lives on my pile of knitting books; He is the Pattern Keeper.
(Before anyone asks, no I don't think I'll bring him to KOL...he's quite little and I'm not so sure he'd do well if there were to be another incident like this one. Especially because, well...he does not have any arms)
8 comments:
congratulations on the spinning. i'm working up my courage to try it. and welcome, george! he is very cute.
What a sweetheart! I'm really glad to hear your second go was more successful. The yarn is beautiful, and George is great! An excellent use for some very special yarn!
Congrats on the spinning!!! I am determined to learn, but I know that I need to wait till I can afford a good spindle. George is very handsome- Phil had better watch out! hehe.
George is AWESOME. Henry saw his picture and said, "He looks very cool. I wonder if he's too cool to befriend a guy like me? 'cause it would be really nice to have another differently abled monster around to talk to."
He's a little needy this Christmas.
Your spinning is awesome. Great job lady.
Lovely yarn and what a cute FO!!
You know, I'm sure George would have no problem with Henry if he can manage to avoid flirting with the ladies. I think that was where the Duck went wrong...
Wow, I love the yarn to begin with, and George wears it quite well if you ask me! Nice work, I'm so glad that you enjoyed the pattern.
he's great! i also had a good laugh at the story of the KOL fight :)
Post a Comment