We began at the first animal we saw, the cashmere goats:

Grace was in love, she giggled and squirmed and overall was quite excited to see the animals.
Andrew was quite eager to make friends:

And then Grace got into the goat snugglin action

I think she kept expecting it to turn around and lick her or knock her over the way my parent's dogs do...everytime the goat turned she covered her face and squealed.
Look at this face:

You'd have to heartless not to love that face!
And the angora rabbits...oh my goodness!

They look like a Jim Henson interpretation of what a rabbit should be. When I was a kid a friend of our family had a hobby farm, mostly birds (he had the most crazy-looking chickens) and he took care of an angora rabbit. Thing would hop around yard looking like an animated dust-mop. Too funny.
Morgan was there too, working at the Loop booth, Grace made friends with her quickly. Here we see Grace showing Morgan where her eyes are:

I think it's safe to say that Grace can count Morgan amongst her fans.
I was looking at yarn, and I very nearly bought some of the Angora blend...but I too surrendered to the appeal of spinning my own yarn. It really is the next logical step in this obsession, isn't it?
So here are my purchases:

I bought the Nova Scotia made drop spindle (which Phil decided he could have made if he had a woodshop. ok darling), a 1/4 lb bag of Hand Dyed Polwarth, and a 50g bag of dyed Mohair that might not become anything but as Alison said "It's a neat souvenir"
Now, I may not have been able to bring home an animal...but Grace was

Look at the love and sheer joy on her face...I think I have a budding fibre artist on my hands!
So I get home yesterday, show off my purchases and tell Phil all about the animals. Suddenly he turns to me with "Ya know..."(which means he's about to try and convince me of something)"If I take a job at Valley Regional and we move to the valley...you can get some sheep..." Hmmm, tempting. I respond "I think I'd prefer something like an Alpaca or some cashmere goats. Maybe Angora?" He says "Well, if we're going all out, maybe you can spin it and sell it?" Me:"Let's not get ahead of ourselves, I think I may need to learn to spin first" Him:"I think eventually you should have a spinning wheel" Me:"Oh yes, I'll need that." So continues Project Get Lesley To Agree To Move to The Valley. This has been his most compelling argument yet.
Meanwhile, I found out Friday that my employer's in-laws raise Angora Goats. Her mil bought a loom, and as yet has not learned how to use it. Meanwhile they have been stockpiling fibre. It's just sitting in storage. And this isn't a new hobby, so you can imagine what they've got. She's going to talk to them, see if they'd part with it. Keep your fingers crossed!
5 comments:
You should get Phil to work on my mister. I'd love to get a hobby farm out there! With one of each fiber critter.
sigh...
Mr Moe would move in that direction in a heartbeat (he went to Acadia) - however, his commute to Dal would suck. I love the valley...
My dear, I don't think you could afford an alpaca. Those suckers cost thousands. Check this out:
http://alpacasincanada.com/specials.html
Although angora bunnies might be the way to go, they're way cheaper, and you can feed them carrots!
http://www.hoobly.com/184/2669/0/
Hey, you can get a cashmere goat for a few hundred US!
I LOVE GRACE!!!! She made me feel v.broody.
Post a Comment