Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Reaching New Heights of Obsession

Last night I silently suffered through the Montreal Vs Toronto game (I say suffered because my husband really gets into the game, with his little cheers and air punching...well, it makes it hard to knit beside him. At one point, after my 7th or 8th attempt to get the baby to sleep I explained that while I understand it's an exciting and intense shoot-out if he woke the baby again he'd pay for it with his life), which I actually got into in the end (Phil's excitement was contagious), but it going into overtime meant I had to wait until midnight to watch the latest episode of Law & Order Special Victims Unit. It was totally worth it.

Oh, if you have not seen the episode but are planning to, stop now. Because there is a good chance I'm about to give away some stuff.

Once the murder was solved, drama with the victims all over, and Elliot (Det. Stabler) was off being a hero, Olivia (Det. Benson) was driving Elliot's very pregnant wife to her OB's appointment. They are struck passenger side on by a drunk driver. Elliot's wife is pinned, her water breaks, she's all in distress and going into labour.

Just before the accident happened I thought "Gee, that's a nice sweater she's wearing. That looks like a feather and fan sort of pattern on the sleeve, are those cables going down the belly? That's sort of looks like the maternity sweater in that Interweave Knits magazine...what issue was that again? I know I have it...HOLY CRAP!" (That's when the accident happened)

So, it's all very emotional, because all I can think is how freakin scary that would be to be labouring while firefighters are trying to cut you out of the car and your husband's partner is trying to put in your IV and your bleeding into your eye from a big 'ol cut on your forehead. She delivers the baby in the ambulance and then nearly DIES as her blood pressure dropped way low. The final scenes involve her (she's ok, baby's ok) introducing the baby to his Daddy and it's still very emotional and these are the thoughts that run through my head:

"Wow, that was intense"

"Geez, a scary birth experience like that can affect how she bonds to that baby. I hope she sorts that out."

"Hmm...breastfeeding would help with the bonding experience. Hey what a great opportunity for this show to support breastfeeding by having a character breastfeed! Sigh, probably won't happen though..."

"I wonder if there is a pattern for that sweater she was wearing? I bet someone will have figured it out..."

"Hey, I wonder if I could figure it out..."

So...I'm off to try and find the episode online, because I bet I could totally make that sweater...

Yup, we're reaching new heights of obsession here. I saw a guy the other day with a really cool hat on and I actually thought "I wonder if that complete stranger would hand over his hat so I could take a look at how it's made..."

Knitting is taking over my brain.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's great! I often find myself looking at people's winter hats- and wondering whether they were hand made- I think I saw a guy in a crocheted hat yesterday- but I'm not sure.

Steph said...

I noticed the sweater too! All I could think was - oh no - I hope they didn't ruin that sweater! Yeesh.

Miss Me said...

it was a great episode! and i too was looking very intently at the sweater... i was really worried that cathy would die and elliott would blame olivia.
tonight: criminal minds, and if you don't watch it you should since penelope garcia (the computer geek/tech) KNITS!

Anonymous said...

hehe I am constantly examining clothes in places like the Gap .... Great cables at the Gap this year :)

monnibo said...

I'm constantly looking at things and thinking, I could make that... or I wonder how they did that?