Personally, I've never got the appeal of fingerless gloves or mitts, since if I'm putting on mitts it's because my fingers are cold. So I set out to make full mittens.
And they are AWESOME!

(the yarn: Hacho by Mirasol, spun in Peru. This shade has the delightful name of "303". It's a lovely soft 100% merino, and one skein is just enough to make fingerless mitts, or mittens if you have small hands)
I completely winged the pattern, using the fingerless mitts pattern to guide me for the thumb. Doing this (winging it) involved quite a bit of ripping back to get the size just right, but it was worth it.
The colours in the yarn are great, and go with my new lime green winter coat perfectly, while the brown in it matches the chocolate coloured Debbie Bliss Baby Cashmerino that I'm making an Odessa (beaded) for myself with.
I finally got around to making myself a hat and mitt set.
*Phil frequently corrects my use of a "d" sound instead of a "t" sound when I say "mitten"...it sort of started while talking to a lot of pre-school children back before I started reproducing (as in "Wes-a-wee, can you help me get on my midden? Pweese?"). In protest...I dub these my Middens and he will have to get over it.
3 comments:
Fingerless mitts are good under big warm regular mitts so that when you have to take you mittens off to do something (unlock the door, tie shoelaces, zip coats) your entire hand isn't exposed to the cold, just your fingertips. Then you put your big warm mittens on over them again! My big warm mittens are sheepskin, and very warm, but absolutely useless if you try to do anything in them requiring fine motor control!
Nice middens by the way. When The Boy was little, he called knitting "mitting". Makes sense--it's what you do to make mittens, so it must be mitting, right?
I wub your middens, Wes-a-wee.
Those mittens are awesome. I love the color. I have some of that color in my shop, I think I'm going to make some of my own! So you need 2 skeins to make average size mittens?
Post a Comment