Pal: Hey, are you going to the Parade of Lights this year?
Me: Of course, we go every year. When is it this year?
Pal: This weekend
Me: ALREADY???!!! But it's only...it's....oh, look, it's mid-November.
Sigh. The Christmas Season sneaks up on me every year. Yes, I hear everyone talking about their shopping and their knitted gifts they are making...and we've even gone out a few times and comparison shopped for the kiddies (consists of taking them to toy stores and seeing what they are drawn to everytime and what makes their eyes pop outta their heads). We've talked budget, heck I've even bought a few things already...but every year the day of the Parade of Lights hits and I am GOBSMACKED.
I'll be alright. I don't think I'll crawl back into my denial shell like I have in years past (which in the past has resulted in my crying in the mall "Why are all these people here? Don't they have jobs to go to? Why are they in MY WAY???")
Anyway...
My point?
We went to the Parade of Lights last night. And it was lovely. And it kicked off the holiday season for us very nicely.
As we do every year, we had donations for the C100/Empire Theatres Toy Drive (every year we get the kids to pick out a toy to donate...Grace still does not really understand, but I know one day she will. Cam enjoys it a lot) and for the Food Bank. Seeing the Bear-a-Medic mascot with the EMS people reminded me to put an extra bear or two on my shopping list to donate to them.
A good time had by all

We were wearing our red-noses, but by this pic had abandonned them in favour of drinking hot chocolate. Grace is wearing hers on top of her head.
What's that?
Why yes, I am. I am wearing my Odessa hat. I cast on Friday night when Phil and I sat down to watch "Knocked Up" (hilarious btw) and knit like a fiend. Saturday afternoon I finished it in time to wear it. With my middens, 'o course!

I knit it with Debbie Bliss Baby Cashmerino in a yummy chocolate brown, and I used the same beads that I used for the navy blue version I made for my friend (here..scroll down), and I love how very different the beads look against the brown. I'm very pleased.
Now I have on my needles a hat for Cam, using the Gryffindor colours I'm knitting him a striped beanie (using the pattern in Charmed Knits), I need to whip up some mitts for Grace and Gabriel to match their hats and I'll probably make mitts for Cam too.
*ba-la-lunk is the closest I have found to writing out that noise that messenger makes when someone strikes up a conversation with you
4 comments:
Wow! Your hat is gorgeous! The beads really show up nicely. Sounds as if you had a terrific time, all of you. How lovely that they collect donations for less fortunate people too. It is a learning experience for children to do that. You're a great mum! samm
Hey, shouldn't you KNIT a bear or two to donate to the bear-a-medic folks?
That hat looks great.
Knocked up was funny. However, some parts were totally UNrealistic having had a baby already!
Alison - you're just cruel.
I completely forgot about the parade until I heard about it on the news on Saturday night.
Post a Comment