Wednesday, December 19, 2007

That clunk you heard was my jaw hitting the floor.

Ok, this has nothing to do with knitting, but I saw it over on The Lactivist's blog and had to share. I've only just now picked up my jaw.

A mother in Italy was told she could not name her child "Friday" by the courts, and the courts have decided that "Gregory" was a more appropriate name, and changed all her paperwork. She appealed the decision and lost.

The whole story is here.

Apparently there is a system in place in Italy that regulates what parents can name their children to prevent them from giving their child names that might be considered "ridiculous or shameful".

Really.

All I could think while reading this story is that this tribunal would COMPLETELY LOSE ITS MIND over some of the names I've come across in my years as a daycare teacher. I've heard names that I'm pretty sure the parents just randomly pulled syllables out of a hat and stuck them together.

And while I might have thought to myself "why don't you like your child?" when I've heard some names...I just don't think any government has a right to decide for you what you name your child.

Thoughts?

5 comments:

Miss Me said...

"friday" isn't all that bad compared to some names i've heard. i don't think that the state should meddle in the naming of our children, but i do sometimes wish that parents would have a little more common sense! i don't care if it is non-traditional but things like "spatula" don't really strike me as reasonable choices for names. oh - and i have strong preference that all names contain at least one vowel...

Anonymous said...

Yeah- I don't think that the state should get involved (in a general sense)- however, I believe that I heard a story last year about a couple in Australia- who wanted to name thier children Satan & Adolph Hitler ( http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/story/0,21598,22074067-2761,00.html ) That might be going too far...

Marti said...

Just thought I would throw in a ridiculous name. I work for a fitness club and am the final pair of eyes that sees the signed contracts, as I check over all of the info. A recent member came across my desk, no word of a lie, named Precious Boots. That's just plain cruel.

Anonymous said...

Just plain cruel: calling your kid Apple. Care of Gwenyth Paltrow & Chris Martin of Coldplay. Friday isn't that bad. It's sort of reminiscent of "Wednesday" of the Addam's Family.

Anonymous said...

My personal favorites of weird names I've heard - Jerusalem & Ada Dick. What's wrong with some people?!