Saturday, September 16, 2006

Yes, it is freakin relaxing, dammit!

So, I bought a drop spindle. I bought (or rather, my husband bought for me) "Spin It" with it's clear instructions and diagrams. I researched and found info and video on the web. I'm usually quite good at figuring out how to do these things from books and the sort, I learned to knit mostly from Stitch 'n Bitch (and help from Alison and Robyn of course) and also Knitting Help. I did this with determination and found I took to it rather well.
So when I approached this hand spinning thing, I kind of expected it to go the same way.
However...not so.

This is not my first attempt. My first attempt looked bloody awful and was put out of my misery. This one is not so bad actually, until the goddess of yarn decided to have a good laugh and for some reason it all went wonky

I'm not sure what I am doing wrong, although I have some theories. But I will get this. I will master the drop spindle, dammit, I will. Meanwhile, I will not practice within earshot of my children. They don't need to learn those words.
Phil has been questioning why I want to do it, since it seems to be causing me such angst. I replied (totally seriously too) "Because it's relaxing!" He roared with laughter. "Looks like it" He says. Then he asks if he can give it a try. I told him no. He asked why...and I explained that if he did it better than me I would be left with no choice but to bludgeon him to death with the drop spindle.
I started a new project as well, I had mentioned before that I was going to switch Grace over to wool soakers at nighttime instead of Fuzzibunz. So I started a soaker in the "Grace" colourway (yeah, colourway)...but's it's so pretty. And I don't have many balls of this left, so I am thinking these may need to become pants. I am using the Aubrey Doodlepants Pattern, and had planned to just make a ribbed cuff instead of legs...but I really don't want to hide away this yarn:

Pants it is. Cooler weather is coming anyway, she needs cozy pants.

2 comments:

FrozenExtremities said...

In my brief spinning experience, one thing I've figured out is there's a million right ways to do it. Some say the kinks are good, others say bad, some say single spun is great, others say you absolutely must ply it to make it useful. So I'm going with the trial by error method.

Anonymous said...

Stripping the roving into strips and pre-drafting is your friend.

Are you spinning the polwarth from London Wul? I was playing with mine this morning for a few minutes - woo, it is a toughie to draft compared to merino. I think pre-drafting to almost the thickness you will be spinning should help.

The park and draft method helps control the spin too.