I'm not sure what is going on with me today, I'm worn out. I don't know why. My day has not been particularly stressful. Yesterday was not either. In fact, aside from laundry (which does itself really, I just move it from one spot to another), I did not do anything yesterday. I did go to class last night, but I was home at a reasonable hour and went to bed at a reasonable hour. Gabriel even slept well last night, so it's not like I was woken up a bazillon times. But yet, here I am...exhausted.
And I've no motivation. I have a lot to do today, and no motivation.
Ugh.
In knitterly news:
I am on the never-ending part of the second jaywalker sock. With a bit of luck, I'll have them to mom this weekend. Which is exciting because I have a lot of sock yarn waiting in the wings and my feet want new socks. I've been rotating the three pairs I have clean (my pink ones really need handwashing, and I just have not gotten to it) and I cringe whenever I have to pull regular, non-knit socks out of the drawer to wear them.
But I have no idea where to start with my next sock project. There are too many options, too many yarns...JUST TOO MUCH!!!
I'm also plugging away still at my lacy scarf. Since I have so many "deadline" projects, stuff for me has just gotten pushed to the side. I need to finish it though, since I wanted to wear it...uh...now.
I'm doing well on the Butterfly Wings shawl. The laceweight merino is gorgeous to work with, so blessedly soft and cozy. I'm about 1/3 of the way through the 3rd chart, and I'm think I really should thread a lifeline in here, because if I make a mistake...*shudders*. Yet...I don't put in a lifeline. I will most likely pay for my arrogance.
Grace and Gabriel's sweaters still are not done. Gabriel's only needs the sleeve seaming finished and the zip sewn in. I could not tell you why I have not done this. Lazy-arse knitter.
What else??
Oh yes. I finished knitting the bag for the FFBE. Since it calls for an i-cord strap, and I hate i-cord, I altered it a bit and just knit garter stitch handles. It looked great. Until I put it in the washer. It all felted beautifully, but either the bottom of the bag shrunk more than the top...or the top expanded. Because...it's almost a circle. It's not supposed to be a big circle. The only way to fix it so it resembles a bag will be to sew and cut it into shape. Sigh. Once it's done and sent I'll post pics of what it looked like compared to what it was supposed to look like.
On the plus side, while I have the sewing machine out I can finish my HSKS3 partner's bag and make the dpn holder I wanted to sew.
I wanted to enter this contest over at Crazy Aunt Purl, but I don't know that I'll have time to make a sweater large enough for Molly. I might be able to enter by the Hallowe'en deadline if I knit one for Ginny. But I have to act fast, 'cause as a kitten she'll grow fast. Meanwhile, I did enter the other draw.
As is the tradition, I made a turkey for Thanksgiving on Saturday (when we celebrate with Phil's family). After the first year of struggling to get a hot, well cooked and moist (read: falling off the bones...mmm) turkey out of the roaster, we somehow acquired this handy little device:

(I say somehow, because I'm not sure if this was a gift we received or something I saw and convinced Phil of how it was going to change our lives with it's easy-ness)
It's a very useful rack that sits under the turkey, and it has handles to lift the turkey with ease from the roaster.
But...it only works if you put it under the turkey. If you consistently remember that you own it an hour or so into the bird cooking...it really is of no use to you. Once again, however, I vow I will use it next time I cook a turkey. Ask me how useful it was after Christmas dinner.
In the meantime...it's a good thing we have these:

I actually have several kitchen things that are only good twice a year for turkey. Those two items, a baster, the roast pan only comes out then, and I have a stuffing kit containing a bag for the stuffing and sewing jiggers to close the turkey up. That's of no use since I don't actually stuff the turkey, since I have vegetarians at the table.
Speaking of which...the beauty part of having vegetarians over for thanksgiving dinner is that you can get a small bird and still have lots of leftovers AND they eat up the veggies you don't like :) It's a good system.
And more on Thanksgiving...my mom took the opportunity of having us over Sunday to make this with my children:

How adorable is that? We used Gabriel's feet to do his flower, since it's really hard to get a baby to spread out their fingers. It's given me a few great ideas for Christmas presents.....which, nope, I'm not blogging about :)
I have recently become a fan of Lime&Violet, the chatter that is their podcast is pretty funny (though I will admit that Cast On is a nicer listen, her voice is so calm). But I love love love the Lime&Violet Daily Chum site! I have found out so many neat things on there, some truly drool worthy esty sites...and I also just found out about a new Mystery KAL. It's called Mystic Waters KAL, and it's a triangular shawl. I'm going to see how the my Euroflax Linen (in Aqua) knits up in the swatch before I go hunting for something else to do it in.
Well...that's enough procrastination for me. Off to go do something!
ETA: I just read over this post to edit it like I always do...and wow, it's rambly and almost incoherent. Not enough for me to scrap it and start over though ;)
5 comments:
My advice for the turkey lifter thingy?
Store the damn thing in the roaster.
That's what I finally did with my turkey lifter thingy - and ta dah! there it was, ready for use at Thanksgiving! My lifter consists of chains and handles, so I refer to all my turkeys as S&M birds.
Hey, it's me: What did you expect?
*jaw drops*
Steph! That's so clever, yet so simple. I cannot believe I have not thought of it before. I'm going right now to put the thingy in the roaster!
i realize that this is a very personal suggestion - since i really don't know you - but since i'm me, i'll ask anyways. you're really tired? really really tired? like pregnant tired??? (hope i didn't make you hyper-ventilate of anything, but i remember how exhausted i was...)
Miss Me...
BWAHAHAAHAHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Nope. Not possible.
More likely that my cycle is about to start anew, I typically get tired at the end of the old. And I have 3 kids, and just came off a busy weekend.
Thanks for the laugh though ;)
I understand about the turkey lifty thing. We have been meaning to buy one forever, and yet everytime I take out the roaster and get a turkey, I go damn I wish I had one of those...
Sign maybe for xmas. Storing it in the roaster is a brilliant idea. I have the uber baster, made of stainless steel and suitable for injecting items into the turkey, it only used twice a year though. Although sometimes we have turkey for Easter too. Sorry your tired, I have that feeling too sometimes.
-your secret pal
Post a Comment