Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Properly spoiled

As a mother should be on Mother's Day.

I got to laze in bed until 10ish, while Phil cleaned the kitchen then made my special mother's day breakfast (by the time it was on the table I was starving!!!), it looked like this:

That's bacon in that bowl. BACON!!

I'll explain. Phil decided a long time ago that bacon was not good for our bodies, and banned it from the house. Now, this was not a hardship for him as he's not a fan of bacon. I, on the other hand, LOVE bacon. Every week we when get groceries I lovingly gaze at the forbidden bacon and ask "please?" and am told "Babe, that's not good for you. No bacon."(He tried once to come to a happy medium with turkey bacon. Turkey bacon is not bacon. At best it's turkey strips. It's not even close to bacon and when you want bacon, it's gotta be actual bacon.) Well...we were getting groceries Saturday and I asked "Am I getting a special breakfast tomorrow?" He said "Of course." I said "Ok, I want bacon." He said "Babe, that's not good for you." and I said "But it's MY day. I want bacon." And I WON this time!! And it was really really good. Cam was pretty excited too, he also loves bacon (he also now loves mayo on his McDonald's fries...I don't think I've been a very good dietary influence on my son).

Then I got to open my goodies:

I recieved a potted flower from each of my children, I was told that the Gerber daisies are from Gabriel, the purple African Violet from Cam and the pink one from Grace. The Willow Tree figure is called "Tenderness" and depicts a mom and tot. (I think the only WT figure we are missing from the family line is Father and Daughter...guess what Phil is getting this year for Father's Day). And my loving husband made me a gift certificate for a pedicure from the Interlude, to be redeemed when we can schedule an hour to myself. So...sometime in 2027?

I then whipped up a delicious lasagna to take to my parent's place for dinner, then got to shower alone (Grace is usually in there with me). I did not change a single diaper all day long and when the time came for us to settle in and watch TV...I did not have to compete with his choices. Ahhh. All in all, a great day.

Knit update:
Shawl #1 is finished and awaiting blocking. Shawl #2 is started...and in a completely different yarn. I had bought Fiddlesticks silk/merino blend in white for the first one, having bought it at TS and called over to The Loop to make sure they had some...but waited too long before going over for the 2nd skein. I ended up buying linen. On a spool. It's stiff, but Mimi (? I think it was Mimi) assured me it will soften up as I knit and will block delightfully. We'll see. I am at a point now that if it does not get done, I don't give a rat's ass. My shoulders are fairly covered by my dress (a lovely bridesmaid gown with nursing access designed by our own Cate), while the maid of honour's dress is strapless and she wants coverage. I'm sure the bride has other things to worry about. Like the fact that the wedding is outside and there is a 90% chance of rain on Saturday.
I want to work on my sock. But I can't. Must finish shawl. I may never knit the Flower Basket shawl again.

6 comments:

Cate said...

So I guess I shouldn't ask for a shower basket shawl in barter for the dress then, eh?

Alison said...

They have a lace scarf made in linen over at the Loop, or they did anyway. It's very soft and drapes nicely. I think the washing softens it up, so maybe give it a good swish around when you're washing it for blocking?

Steph said...

Wow - is that what it takes to get to watch your own TV show? Babies?

Sounds like you had a great day.

jkleclerc said...

I've made a couple linen lace scarves and I LOVED them. Too bad I gave them away as christmas presents. It does drape beautifully after blocking.

Miss Me said...

nice mother's day for you! mmmm... bacon... now i know that you've been VERY busy recently, but i'm tagging you... rules over at my blog. think of it as a chance for it to be "all about you". c'mon, with a new babe, those don't come along too often!

Anonymous said...

See bacon is really really REALLY not good for you :P

~a troll