It has recently hit me like a tonne of bricks that I have 3 children. Maybe that should have been obvious when I gave birth, but alas no. A bus driver told me. We were rushing to make a connection so we could get home and we thanked the driver for waiting for us and he said "Oh, you guys have 3 kids, I couldn't just drive off on you." I stared at him with my mouth open, and thought "jaysus, I have THREE KIDS!!!" I've got my head around the concept now...but I gotta tell ya, I nearly checked into the nearest rubber room because CLEARLY I am insane.
Ah...but look:

I have the coolest 7 year old, because only very cool 7 year olds go out to the park dressed at Darth.
And check out the Princess here..

She's found an old hat of Cam's and claimed it for her own and is totally into her new blocks.
And then there is the newbie

Who does not mind being photographed with a sock. For now anyway.
So...it's worth it. Even at 3am when you're praying the babe will just burp already so you all can go back to sleep.
That, by the way, is the labour sock, all finished. Sock #2 is not yet cast on because of this:

That's a Flower Basket Shawl in Fiddlesticks Merino Silk blend, on 3.5mm needles. Attempt #3, since I did not like my first yarn choice then changed needle sizes to make it look better. I'm standing in a friend's wedding and since it's an outdoor wedding the maid of honour and I both wanted something to cover our shoulders. So I opened my big mouth and said "Oh, I'll knit us shawls, they'll be lovely." So I am knitting Shawl #1 now. When is the wedding you ask? May 19th. Yes of this year. Yes I know that's a mere two weeks away. Why? I do well under pressure. And sleep is overrated anyway.
Yesterday we went out to the We Love Our Children Family Expo, sponsered heavily by Atlantic Superstore. We were going to skip it this year, just could not spare the admission fee, but my cousin Richard is a chef with Superstore and offered us 2 tickets for Sunday. Thanks again Cuz, we had a blast!
We were there all of 3 minutes when I ran into my friend Melissa and her munchkins. Then we ran into Our Friendly Neighbourhood Spiderman:

(since the kids would not pose with him, we did. It was all we could have imagined and more)
We hit a booth that had robots on display, Grace really liked the Robotic dog;

Frankly, I did too. A dog you do not have to clean up after AND you can turn off? Sold.
We checked out pirates and Discovery Center, collected pens and filled out contest ballots. Then it was time for the big stage show:

That there is Lunar Jim and the dude on his right (your left) is Mark, a host of Kids CBC. We danced and played...it was all kinds of fun.
We had our lunch and then made our way to the reading of the next in the "Walter the Farting Dog" series...book #5 titled "Banned from the Beach" is due out this summer. The author was wearing kilt. I mention this, because see my rapt attention?

I'm thinking about his kilt hose. I am looking at their cables and thinking "those are lovely. I bet they just look complicated, I could follow that chart I'm sure." Then I thought "I wonder if he just bought them or did someone make them for him. What is that, worsted weight? Looks heavy enough, definitely not sock weight. They look warm. I love that grey colour too. I wonder if he would understand if I asked to take a closer look..." I totally lost the storyline. It's funny though...Cam was laughing. But then the word "fart" was said a lot.
For me, I enjoyed chatting with the ladies at the Public Health booth about breastfeeding promotion. They had really cool balloons

They had a nipple drawn on them. Which appealed to both my lactivist side and my inner 12 year old. So did their cake:

hee hee
Oh gosh, what else? We met a number of characters, who Grace would chase down, then once she was within 2 feet of them not talk, no hugs, no interaction at all. I think she just liked the chase.
Gabriel was getting bored

These things are not as much fun when you are too little to do any of it.
Phil's favourite was the Tim's coffee, provided compliments of our mayor.
The kids also made ice cream

Well, Cameron made his. I made Grace's. Cam was the first one to finish turning his chocolate milk into ice cream, he was very proud.
We finished the day with a bit of dancing...

A good time, had by all.
Our good buddy Nick was our bus driver for part of our journey home. He's a very good driver, thanks for getting us across the bridge safely.
On our bus was a young lady sporting a very cool knit frog hat. It had bulby eyes on top of her head and was fleece lined. I tried to get a good look at it without looking like a creepy lady staring. I said to Phil "So, do you think she would mind if I asked her if I could take a picture of her hat? Or do you think she would find that creepy and weird?"
He answered "Well, that depends. If she's a knitter too, she probably would not find that to be weird at all."
My god...he gets it. He really gets it.
3 comments:
That expo looks like so much fun! Do you think they would frown upon single girls with no kids going?
Julie, no, they would not. Plus you're almost an aunt, right? You should go next year!
We should all go hang out around the doors when the Tattoo is on this summer. We can stalk the kilt hose.
Post a Comment