Sunday, October 01, 2006

All about the NIP...

Ok, so most of you are familiar with the term "KIP", stands for "Knitting In Public". "NIP" has a similar meaning, it stands for "Nursing In Public". Now before you get images of people in scrubs and quiet shoes running about town administering health care...we're talking about Breastfeeding. Yesterday was the Breastfeeding Challenge, an annual international event to promote breastfeeding and breastfeeding awareness. The goal is to have as many nursing mamas breastfeed together in a public place, the idea being that breastfeeding is natural, healthy and normal.
Here we are at Sullivan's Pond in Dartmouth (aka "The Duck Pond"):

I am not sure what the total number of nursing moms was, but I know we had more than last year's event. All over Canada and internationally as well, Momma's latched their babes for a snack at 11am (local time of course). Each site competes to have the most at their location. While we did well, I doubt we beat the bigger cities.
But it was more than just women with their breasts out, it was a family time as well. Cam got some cool face graffiti done:

Father and Son had some bonding time with some kite flying:

Grace stopped to smell the flowers:

And La Leache League held their annual walk-a-thon:

All in all, it was a nice morning out. After we did an errand at the mall, then I went home for a nap. For dinner we met with my parents, my brother and my friend Melissa (+ her kiddies and her mom) to celebrate my b-day at Steak and Stein. I chose SnS because frankly, I've been craving a Great Bloomin Onion for about 3 or 4 weeks now. Yes, it was everything I dreamed it would be.
My ever-loving Husband got me a DQ cake. I asked for an ice cream cake and said it would be fun to have a Disney Princess on it;

One of my all-times favs is the Little Mermaid, and this also came with the promise that when the DVD is re-released (which is soon!) I get that too!
Yesterday was a good day.
To further celebrate Internation Breastfeeding Day, here is a little tune that once you sing to yourself, you'll find yourself humming all day:

"See Our Breasts"
(Sing to the tune of "Be Our Guest," from Beauty & the Beast)

See our breasts, see our breasts--
Everywhere, half-naked chests.
While we nurse,
The prudish curse,
And wish we'd button up our vests.
Sorry, folks, look away
If we're too decollete,
But this is what boobs are made for,
Not those Wonderbras you've paid for.
We refuse to go feed
Hunched in bathroom stalls--indeed,
We're appalled that you would make such rude requests.
Would you agree to eat
Upon a toilet seat?
See our breasts, see our breasts, free our breasts!

2 comments:

FrozenExtremities said...

You're right, that song IS stuck in my head now....
Heehee!

jlmack said...

Very catchy. I went by the Duck Pond yesterday, but I must have missed everything.
I love the Little Mermaid. My all-time fav Disney character is Sebastian.