Tuesday, December 09, 2008

All at once.

I swear, weeks will go by and nothing remotely interesting happens. Then suddenly, BAM! Everything comes up at once.

Friday we sent the kids off to Nana and Grampy land so we could have a double date with another couple and get some late-night Christmas shopping done (tip: If you have to go to Wal-Mart in the Christmas season, go midnight-ish. It's not as busy and they are re-stocking the shelves). Our first and second choice for restaurants were crazy busy and in a moment of group insanity we went...to Hooters.

I'm still not sure why we went, or more importanly why the heck we stayed, but trust me, don't go to Hooters. The rumours about the food being good are not true. $8 nachos made with freakin cheese whiz. Gross. And we think the food at Hooters was why Phil was really sick over the weekend. Do not go to Hooters.

Then we hit the mall for quick shop, then to see Four Christmases. Then to WalMart where we shopped until 1am. Wal-Mart until 1am is becoming a habit of mine and Ann's, as it's a great place to hide out until you're 100% sure your husband has gotten your kids to bed.

Saturday was an early morning, as we picked up the kids (Gabriel did very well on his first overnight at his grandparents) and headed out to a certain designer's house in Truro. Her baby girl is definitely a Big Girl now, and let me tell you not only does Deb make a wicked good coffee, she knows how to throw a party. There was a magician who had the kids completely enthralled with his tricks and live animals while the adults were totally free to drink coffee and munch on snacks and chat. For some reason I left the camera out in the car, so I have no photographic evidence of this fun time.

While there I learned the the Fabricville out that way was closing and having a sale. Not one to pass on a sale I went and bought

Buttons. 40% off. Is it weird that I saw buttons and just bought a bunch even though I only have 2 projects in the works which require buttons? And now I'm planning what to knit that would compliment the ones with the flowers.

After the party we drove clear across the province to the South Shore to visit with my friend Jamie and her family. Who I haven't seen since May, and frankly I had forgotten how much fun it is to hang out with Jamie. Jamie is one of those friends with whom I can completely be myself, and be totally silly with. At one point we were both in tears we were laughing so hard. Must make resolution to not let 7 months pass again without a visit. Or any months really.

Saturday night I had hoped to go out to Hamachi House with my cousin for their Happy Maki hour (cheap and delicious sushi!), but I dozed off putting the kids to bed and when she called I was out cold.

Sunday morning dawned and we realized that Gabriel was sort of wheezy sounding and had a squeaky barky cough. Packed him up and headed over to emerg. Turns out he has croup, and they gave him an oral steriod which worked so well he didn't have any symptoms until last night. It's not bad at the moment, but I'm told he'll get worse before he gets better.

While there I worked on my Sock Memories blanket, and completed this square, to comemorate Beth's dancin socks.

Another mom there with a sick toddler commented on my blanket, saying "That's really pretty, but please tell me you haven't knit all of that while you were waiting" We laughed and I assured her I had only just gotten there.

But I realized that the majority of my blanket squares have been knit right there in that waiting room. That tends to be the project I grab if I need to take one of the kids in, since it's portable (for now, I imagine once it gets bigger I won't be able to tote it everywhere), requires no pattern and it's pretty mindless knitting (meaning I can supervise the children easily while knitting it). Plus it's easy to pick back up when we move from waiting room to waiting in the exam room. However...I do hope that I don't have many more emergency room opportunities.

Sunday afternoon was a Very Important Event. So important that we dropped off the youngers at Nana and Grampy Land again (Gabriel was not so impressed at being left behind again, but I'm told he stopped screeching once we were out of the driveway).

Cameron earned his yellow belt

He'd been nervous all weekend about the upcoming test, and he said he felt sort of nauseous until the moment he heard that he had earned the belt. He's doing so well with the martial arts classes, I'm really proud of him.

Monday turned out to be a snow day and Phil was still sick from the weekend so we decided to get our new tree up late that afternoon.

I set the kids up at the table with mini trees to decorate in the hopes it would keep them out of the way while we set it up.

It worked (after Christmas sales at Micheal's. Those trees cost $16.99 originally, I picked them up in January for less than a buck each. Mini ornaments all 60% off right now. I'm going to pick up more after Christmas for next year).

And Phil put it together, fluffed the branches and made the connections for the lights

I'm not sure why we didn't toss the old tree and buy a pre-lit one years ago, would have saved a lot of hassle.

I love the end result.


So today, we're recovering from our busy weekend and getting caught up with the laundry. And listening to the rockin new Christmas playlist on my ipod.

3 comments:

fitncrafty said...

Your tree looks great.. please share more about your socks memories blanket....


I suppose I need to make Many more pairs of socks to make a blanket.. I am guessing it's from leftover sock yarns?

Steph VW said...

head spinning from news of your weekend.

jkleclerc said...

I don't think the food at Hooters has ever been good (I don't really know, I've never gone), but that is just something men say to try and justify going to stare at scantily clad women. It's like saying Playboy has good articles.