Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Pass the ice please.

It is entirely possible that lately I've been over-doing it with the crafty stuff. Last night around 10:30-ish, I asked my husband to please get me an ice pack. When he asked why, I said it was for the stabbing pain in my shoulder. I said this without even looking up from my knitting. I could tell he was contemplating the recommendation that I take a break, but thought better of it and got me an ice pack and some tylenol.

I thanked him and remarked that my rotator cuff muscle was acting up again. Old injury you know. See, several years ago I was getting ready to go out with my friends. I was trying on my roommate's shorts to see if I should wear them. I did not have a full length mirror, so I stood on a chair to see how my butt looked. As I did this, my friends came in the room...there was was some "whoo-hoo-ing", so I did what any girl would do in that situation: I did a little dance. And the chair did not like the little dance, so it dumped me onto the floor, and I hit my left shoulder on the way down. Being young and frankly, stupid, I did not go get myself checked out. No no, I drank until it stopped hurting and hit the bars. The end result was a seriously damaged rotator cuff muscle and my arm in a sling for a week. It flares up every so often, but hasn't hurt this bad since my daycare days when I'd be lifting heavy toddlers onto the change table.

On the plus side...I do have some lovely FO's to show for my hard work.

First up, Grace's dress. I'd been looking for a few days for a dress for Grace to wear this coming weekend to my brother's wedding. Unfortunately most stores which would sell lovely summer sort-of formal dresses have already switched over to their fall stock...nothing in store that was not short sleeved or a light material. I did manage to find one dress that would work, but then left it behind in what can only be called a snit when I was confronted with an incredibly rude cashier.

I decided in that moment "Fine! FINE!! I will MAKE her a dress! HA! Take THAT rude lady!"

Never mind that my only other garment I have ever sewn was Cam's pirate coat, and frankly there are parts of that which look like a blind monkey did it. I found a simple pattern for a cute little dress, then I snagged some really sweet fabric in the sale at Fabricville ($1.99!!! I got all the fabric, plus the notions for less than $15!) I told Phil I needed the bedroom and to keep the children occupied for a little while. I shut the door and got to work.

I had the dress finished with minimal stress and error by the end of the night. Last night I finished the sash and got her to model it for me.

She loves it, but you can't really tell in this picture. She's so contrary, she loves to have her picture taken, until I need to take her picture for something.

From the back

Bonus: the sash totally hides my sucky gathering of material at the waist. It looks like I made it, but it's nice...right?

Not so long ago I got some pretty yarn at a closing sale (happy to report that Basket of Yarn is staying open, if you're in the area pop in, it's a lovely shop!). One of my purchases was yarn and pattern for Queen of the Waves Shawl by Ilga Lega. Shortly after buying it I had a bit of buyer's remorse. Did I really need another shawl? I have two shawls on needles already that are not done...did I really need to start another? Honestly...would this get done?

Then not too long ago I was out shopping and noticed a women's clothing store that was having a sale. I decided to pop in to see if I could find a dress to wear to the wedding. As I tried stuff on I realized I was dismissing outfits that did not go with the shade of green I had chosen for the shawl. Without my even being aware of it, I had decided that the shawl was going to be made, and in time for the wedding.

So I cast on once I got home and started knitting. I have to tell you, this shawl is an absolute delight to knit. The pattern was so clear and it's got equal parts of somewhat mindless knitting and almost-hard stuff that keeps you interested. I was eager to get to the end, but almost sad when it was over. And it's Knit from the widest point and gets smaller with every other row (frankly, I think that's a very civilized way to make a shawl). And the yarn was a treat too, the subtle variegation's gives the finished piece a very nice texture indeed.

However...it's likely that this is why my shoulder is so f-ed up.

But...look how pretty!!


And yeah, it's HUGE. I actually had to pad the cedar chest at the foot of our bed so I could block it out (I covered it in a couple of the mats I bought for blocking). Also, if you don't have blocking wires, I highly recommend investing in some. Blocking wires and a swift...two indispensable tools of knitting.

Close up of the detail


I'm really pleased with this shawl. I keep going into my room just to look at it. And it is going to look great with my new dress :)

Well, I'm off to ice the shoulder again...hopefully it will be all better by the time I go to KOL tonight.

11 comments:

cksknitter said...

The shawl is GORGEOUS! Your daughter's dress is really pretty, too! Good job.

kasiaiscarly said...

Love the shawl!

And I think the dress is adorable!

Miss Me said...

whatcha talkin' about lesley? that dress is adorable!!! and your shawl looks lovely. i took a cue from you and bought some of those same mats for blocking (and ordered blocking wires just last week).

Cali said...

Love the dress! So cute!

And the shawl... wow. that is a gorgeous pattern! I love the fan pattern in it. I can't wait to see it.

Steph VW said...

You're an insane woman! The dress is beautiful and so is the shawl.

Marti said...

Beautiful shawl! I just don't have the stamina for them. And the dress turned out quite lovely!!

Ann said...

You are amazing!

Both are absolutely beautiful!

Cate said...

That shawl is gorgeous! I just love it! I love the colours you picked for the dress, it's so sweet. You did a great job!

Anonymous said...

Woo! Awesome dress! Fantastic shawl!

I love the squared off bottom of the shawl - very nice....

Lisa said...

The dress is divine! I am gearing up to make baby outfits for my first grandbaby....you have given me new inspiration!

I LOVE the shawl. I have not been bitten by the bug yet but you guys are really putting the peer pressure on....

CONGRATS!

Tola said...

the dress is beautiful, and ive found that a good damp ironing does wonders for hand-sewn couture, especially on the hems and the seams. im sure you already knew that though. be proud of your accomplishments!