Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Spring Cleaning...The Yarn

I have organized my stash many many times. And usually within a few weeks, because of rooting for the next project's materials, my bin is a mess. Especially the sock yarn.

Today, I up-ended the stash trunk and, well...made my bed disappear basically

Two hours later I had sorted the yarn into categories and replaced them back in the bin. All my sock yarn is organized in a big box, while my laceweight is all packed away in a clear storage back. Yarns are grouped together in the bin for easy finding and inspiring.

Who wants to start the pool on How Long Until the Bin Is a Mess Again? (My money is on 3 weeks...I've got some children's b-days and some gestating babies to knit for)

In other news, last night at KOL I finished Azure. To recap, these are made from the Oceanwindknits Merino, colour is called "Indigo", that my husband bought for me. You know, that yarn he actually went into the yarn shop and bought actual yarn that he gave me for my birthday? He even asked the shop owner for help with picking it out...I know I keep talking about it, but it still blows my mind.


They are so pretty, and the yarn so soft. The only mod I made in the pattern was to knit the foot in size small and the leg in the medium, but it's dead easy to do.



These took me a bit longer than usual to knit since I did the bulk of the knitting in class. Not during the lectures, since I was diligently taking notes at those times, but during breaks. Not a lot of knitting gets done when you only knit for 15 minutes twice a week. The only reason they are done now is because I got a lot done on them while in the waiting room at the ER when Gabriel was so sick. These were my travel knitting, I hardly touched them at home, but they came with me every where in case I had a few minutes of waiting to work on them.

Now that they are done, I of course need another Perfectly Portable Project to work on.

The yarn is the Doctors Without Borders colourway from Unique Sheep in Tinsel Toes (so blessedly soft...mmmmmm...) and the pattern I'm using is Dove Socks from New Pathways for Sock Knitters. It's my first pattern (unless you count the practice socks you have to make in the beginning, which have become booties for the small boy) from this book, and the customizing takes a bit to sort out. I was so confused the first time I read through the patterns...there is a lot of math to do. But I've got it and I cannot wait to see the end result.

Finally, I ordered a little something from Chapters, which arrived today


From left to right: The Harmony Guides: Cables & Arans. I have an idea in my head for cabled sweaters for my kids, so I picked this up to sort of help me sort it out. 101 Designer One Skein Wonders...bought mostly because I needed to get over $39 so I'd get free shipping (I'd rather spend $X and have another book than almost $X to pay for shipping...all about getting the most value for your dollar. Which is probably why they give you that option, so you'll spend a little bit more...sneaky sneaky) but also bought because every time I'm in the store I pick it up and read through and see stuff I might like to make. And finally, the new Yarn Harlot Book, Things I Learned From Knitting...Whether I wanted to or not. I've not had a chance to read more than the intro, but so far so good. I so wish I'd been able to get to Toronto for the launch yesterday, from all accounts it was a blast.

I think that's about it for now...I'm sort of eager to get back to my sock :)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your birthday socks are wonderful! I must find some of that Doctors Without Borders yarn too. I like the colours in it. I'm betting seventeen days for the stash messing to happen. :O) Seventeen, got it? I have that 101 Designer Knits book, as well as the first one. I use them frequently when I need a smallish project to distract me from a largish one. :O) And my YH book should be here any day. I ordered it from Amazon and like you, would rather get another book for the money I'd spend shipping. It only makes sense! And nobody could ever have too many knitting books, right? Knit on, friend,
samm

Alison said...

Hey, I have the how to design your own aran sweater book (found it--the title is Aran Sweater Design and it's by Janet Szabo). Do you want to borrow it?

Anonymous said...

Wow...that is a really nice stash!! I don't think that the stash my mom and I have is that big. But we've never dumped it all out on a bed. So I don't know. But it's very cool!! Oh and I am finally resting and letting it heal...doing a lot of studying and knitting...neither require walking. The way the doctor made my cast is so that I can't walk at all and the crutches are a pain. You are right...I will get a lot of knitting done!! Thanks for the encouragement!! :)

Cali said...

So...much... yarn... so... jealous!! Wow...

love the socks! I am so proud of your hubby! He is learning well what makes the knitter happy :)

Steph said...

The book is out? I was thinking about going to Chapters today - I may just have to do that after all!

Love the socks. I've finished my striped socks, so it's just Azure on the needles for me now. Can't wait to finish them.