Monday, June 04, 2007

Knitting content...with pics and everything!

I finished the "Labour Socks"


I love how they look! And I might have enough leftover yarn for another pair (does Opal expect people to make knee-high socks? Both my opal socks left a lot of yarn in the skein) but I'm going to weigh it first. As soon as I remember to bring it with me to mom's, who has a digital scale.

Cate recently discovered that Opal's cotton blend doesn't work for her either, so she passed on a skein of blue to me, and my mom had been asking me to knit her a pair of blue socks, a "denim-y blue please". So I made her wear a "bracelet" of the yarn to see if it irritated her skin...nope it's lovely. So I sent her a list of patterns I'd be willing to knit, she narrowed it down to Kew and Falling in Love socks. I have a pair of Falling in Love on the needles, one sock done, and I'm on the home stretch for the second, only 3 pattern repeats to go. The issue? I hate them. They look great, but these have to be the most uncomfortable socks on the planet. Way too lumpy bumpy. Why I continue to knit the second I have no idea. The idea of ripping them back makes me feel sick, the pattern has some seriously hateful parts (knit 4 together. FOUR!!), and keeping track of the cables can be a PITA. So, since I know my mom won't enjoy lumpy bumpy socks (it was her concern when she looked at patterns for her first knit socks) I won't be knitting the FIL socks. But I'm not sure about Kew either...I think I may have started to use this pattern for the Cherry Tree Hill yarn (which is what my FIL socks are made out of) and hated it. But I'm not sure...I started a number of patterns with that yarn and hated them all. Sigh. I'll cast it on and see where it gets me.

(No Cate, I've not forgotten your shawl. I tried to pick it up the other night, but I'm still a bit resentful towards it. Since I don't want it to give you a headache I'm going to wait until I don't hate it anymore. Soon darling, soon)

And now, here is a lesson:
If you give a toddler a bowl of yummy, buttery popcorn...don't leave her alone on your bed:

Note the bits of popcorn in her hair and that lovely sheen that comes from having butter rubbed on your head. Sigh. Ever had to vacuum your bed?

And finally, I probably should not even post this because in doing so I am revealing his mild-mannered alter ego...
But my son is Superman


That will be all.

7 comments:

Alison said...

That's hilarious, I nearly sprayed tea all over my keyboard!

Cate said...

That costume is way too funny! I didn't know you could get them that small!

lulubelle said...

The costume is actually off of Cam's Build-A-Bear ;)

Steph said...

YOU PUT YOUR CHILD IN A BUILD A BEAR COSTUME?

My respect for you has just deepened immeasurably!

jkleclerc said...

That pic is soo cute! and very funny considering it's a teddy bear costume. Don't worry about giving his identity away, just put a pair of glasses on him during the day and nobody will know...

Miss Me said...

So - how does it feel to be Superman's Mom? Hopefully all the kryptonite has been cleared from the house...
On the sock front, the Labour socks are beautiful! And we may be knitting from the same sock wishlist... I've made the FIL socks, but I gifted them to a coworker. She loves them, so hopefully they aren't that uncomfortable. After some debate over patterns recently (including Kew amongst others) I have gone with Hedera for my most recent on the needles socks.

Anonymous said...

That is too cute- sorry, I know it seems wierd for me to find this. I am snitch searching. (HSKS2)