Today the family trekked over to the Public Gardens for World Wide Knit in Public Day (nope, not making it up). The Loop sort of sponsored the local event, in that they sent out e-mails on their newsletter list, and were there to hand out coupons and prizes (I won one) and had a 15% sale on all yarns in their store to celebrate the day. Apparently there was a Facebook event listing too (ah Facebook, what can't you do?) telling about the event.
But I digress...
On our way we met Lynn, and a nice looking young man who thought Grace was adorable (she is) and asked if he could have his picture taken with her. Dude, that is way creepy. He looked so suprised when I said no. Phil said later that at least he asked, he could have just snapped her picture from afar. Which does nothing to help me supress the urge to never leave the house in order to protect the children.
So, we gathered near the bandstand

And we KIP'd
Gabriel enjoyed a snuggle while I knit

Then he went off to visit with Steph who had given him his new booties

It was about this time that Phil dug out our lunch...which attracted the ducks...which the children encouraged by tossing bits of bread at...and then Mommy and Daddy got distracted (I was looking in the bag while Phil was focused on serving up some macaroni salad)...and Grace began to scream. She had offered some bread to a very large duck. The duck felt Grace was taking way too long to dispense the bread, and went for it. Grace, startled, pulled her hand back towards her chest. Her hand was still holding the bread, and the duck BIT HER!!! REPEATEDLY!!! I look up and see this duck, who was almost the size of my child, attacking her wee hands. I shout "Phil, it's biting her!!" as I rush over and scoop her up out of harm's way (Phil may have kicked the duck away, I am not sure, but frankly it deserved it). Grace was hysterical, and I walked her away from the area trying to calm her down. Quick thinking Steph pulled Henry out of her bag and he immediately rushed to comfort her

She calmed down very quickly and told Henry "the duck eated my fingers!"
(And that's why people have to start abiding by the city by-law that prohibits the feeding of ducks and other wildlife at these types of parks, it makes them very aggressive. That same freakin duck tried to pull my sandwich right off my plate!)
Before too long she was off and playing with Mrs No Sheep's children, while our husbands chased them about, leaving the women to knit in relative peace.
We had planned to go to the Nova Scotia Museum afterwards, but it got really nice out and Grace asked to sit in the stroller, which meant she was wiped out. Sure enough, she was out cold after a few minutes. We decided instead to walk down to the Loop to check out the sales then travel home via the ferry. Along the way we ran into Steph and Terra who were on their way to the Loop as well. We each talked ourselves into treats (after all, it is a holiday, not to mention we had coupons and there was a sale), then Steph joined us on our way to the ferry and journeyed across with us.
When we landed Phil entertained with some strongman moves:

He's moving the train. What a powerhouse my man is! (Ok, the video is way funnier, but my computer won't let me load it)
We said goodbye to Steph and took the kids to the boat playground (Grace had woken up when the train roared past) for a while, I knit while they played (and Phil chased them about)

Then we went to Canadian Tire so Phil could get a treat too (it's only fair, he bought me yarn), he picked up some sort of gadgety thing that he may never use but dang-it-all he'll have it if he needs it!
My treats:

The Loop bag was the prize I won, I got it for "bringing the most people with me, plus I looked like I could get use out of a bag". It's good timing, since the liner tore in my usual knitting bag, and needles like to hide in it. The cones are Euroflax Paris, which is 100% wetspun linen and very nice to work with and drapes beautifully, in Aqua and Red. This pic does nothing for the colour, they are much prettier in person. I also bought a pattern for a Trio of Lacy Scarves, the Loop has the red Euroflax on display knit up as one of these, and it's really pretty. One of these yarns will be a scarf for me, the other will be a gift. Just as soon as I decide which one I want to keep. (Who wants to bet I give the gift then run back out and buy that colour again? Any takers?). The other bag is the project bag I toted all day long as I KIP'd in the park, on the bus and at the playground. It's the packaging my breastpump kit came in, and I almost threw it out. Then I realized what a great project bag it would be. Yay me for being all environmental and stuff.
*Yesterday I bought two bottles of sunscreen, one to keep at home and one to keep in the bag. I forgot about them completely this morning as we went out. All of us have sunburns. Even wee Gabriel has pink cheeks. There goes my "Mom of the Year" award.
6 comments:
It's possible that you might have enough for two scarves on those cones, no? If you make the skinny version?. I have that pattern, by the way, you could have borrowed it ;-).
Andrew is very excited about Gabriel's "Birthday Party" an dhas chosen a lovely present!
Who all was there? I see my friend and co-worker Heather made it. You, Steph, Lynn, Terra, who else?
Henry is really pleased that he was able to help.
He's considering a career in childcare. It just might work if he could lay off the scotch.
Looks like you all had a good time, minus the creepy guy and the duck attack. Wish I could have made it!
Thanks again to Phil for chasing the kids! It was a great afternoon.
In a strange co-incidence, I got the book Gracie, The Public Gardens Duck, at the book expo. Me thinks it should be given to a little girl named Grace.
Post a Comment