If you knew that if your child went out and vandalized property, or stole a car, or victimized another person or animal in some way, that you would be fined...as a parent you would be more likely to keep tabs on your child and find more constructive ways for them to spend their time, right?
Read this article in today's Chronicle Herald. It's a start. I am so hoping that it passes. And that eventually it will be more than just paying off the damages, I'd like to see parents fined for their children's misdeeds. Sort of like if you get a ticket for speeding. And if parents are fined, there needs to be mandatory parenting classes.
I know it's not a solution that will work 100%. There will always be some little punks out there causing trouble. But if parents had to pay out of pocket for their kids crimes, then maybe those parents will think "Hey, I'd better know where little Johnny is all the time" and start paying attention. Too often parents are not taking the time to teach their children the right way to behave, because that's a lot harder than just letting them do whatever they want. As a result, we have a generation of kids coming up believing that they are untouchable, that there are no consequences to their behaviour, and worst of all...that no one cares about them enough to make them follow the rules.
We are not raising children....we are raising adults, it is our job to mold them into functional, contributing members of society.
(I'll hop off my soap box now :)
Wednesday, October 11, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I agree for the most part. The only down side I could see is for parents who treat their kids like crap. It may give them another reason for abuse.
But i'm still happy they're making parents responsible for kids behaviour. About time.
Right now there is nothing to be passed. All HRM council voted on was to "appeal to the provincial government to consider legislation". Could be years because the Dept of Justice will likely want to wait and see how similar legislation has worked in BC.
I'll take off my government hat now, and say that I agree 100% that parents are raising adults. Great sentiment!
Post a Comment