Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Catching up!

When I last posted I had just been to a concert and was knitting a sock.

Since then I have:

1) Gone camping only to have it rain on us. We tried to make a go of it in true Maritimer style (rain schaime) but when your pillows get wet you just can't recover from that. Plus the sound of the rain hammering the tent kept a certain small boy awake, which meant I was awake all night. He didn't cry, just clung to me and shook, occasionally saying in whisper "Mommy, noise!" and I'd say "Yes, it's just rain. Rain on the tent" then he'd say "Rain. Noise." And hug me tighter. Damp I could handle. Damp and tired? Nope.

2) Gotten more than halfway through the test knits for Unique Sheep. Need to get these done. Perhaps if I hide the rest of my yarn and projects?

3) Tried to escape the heat of the day with a trip to the beach...only to find the shrouded in fog (to the point where we couldn't see the water from the steps down to the sand). This time was able to use my Maritimer spirit to have a blast anyway with my kids...they had a great time getting as close to the waves as possible and running up the beach squealing as the water chased them...much to the amusement of myself and a few other hardy beach goers.

4) Had a family picnic day with my knitting group. We visited Point Pleasant Park and a good time was had by all. Then that night...

5) My husband and I had a big feed of sushi from Hamachi House...because we had been married for 3 years. I also got a lovely bouquet of white roses for the occasion.

6) Got to alleviate a bit of my Sock Summit envy by having Deb Barnhill come do her Toe Up Socks for the Stubborn class with our knitting group! She wanted to do a run through to make sure the class was going to run on time and make sense (and it did, there was lots of "OH!" and "Duh!" and other lightbulb moments happening all through the class.

Before class began however, I had her sign her pattern page in "Knitting Socks with Handpainted Yarns", because I am, after all, her biggest fan :)


For those of you interested...this is what my sock looks like with her technique


Deb wear nothing but clever pants.

For more pics from that day...clicky here

7) That Saturday Grace and I escaped out to Deb's place for a girly night...supper, followed by dress up play, watching Tinkerbelle in pj's and of course, knitting!

8) My big boy turned 10. We had a bbq with family, with ice cream cake and later on a campfire. It was lovely, and he declares it "the best b-day ever"


Is it a surprise that yesterday I did a whole lot of sitting around doing jack all?

More on the knitting later!

3 comments:

Miss Me said...

number 1 brought back memories... younger son and mr. me got caught in a violent downpour when the little guy was just about gabriel's age. the rain didn't bother him, but the wind did! for at least a year afterwards, he was terrified of the wind. i heard lots of "wind, mommy, wind!" in a fearful voice. you know it won't hurt them but they're so scared. (yes - he DID get over it. we laugh about it now.)

Steph VW said...

i agree with the big boy - that does sound like a fine birthday!

Scrappytbear said...

Wow :) What busy times you have been having :) LOVE your photos from Deb's class :) your sock looks awesome. Im still wrapping my head around it. Commiserating on the maritime camping; its hit and miss all around! Fog and the beach lol Frustrating! lol I wouldnt say you are getting nothing done tho! LOL