Thursday, August 20, 2009

Good Things

I've gotten some really good stuff lately, and since I know you're here for yarn content I bring you a parade of stash enhancements sure to make you green with envy!

First up: My package from the Rubberneckers swap. The theme was "buy local" (and also "F@*k You Fattie!" but that takes a lot of explaining, lol). My favourite part of swaps has always been selecting goodies for my recipient, and I love "buy local" themes because NS has such a fantastic fibre community to pull from. My recipient got some gorgeous Fire And Fable yarn and an Ilga Lega pattern, along with NS noms.

My sender, Fennel on Rav, sent some really awesome things local to Pittsburgh


Heinz apparently started in Pittsburgh, and I have to say that it's probably my favourite part of the package because it was so unexpected to find ketchup in there! The coffee was from her favourite place and it was really good! I have a new favourite candy because of those Clark bars (they were so yummy!) and the blue thing is a reusable bag in a pouch. The froggy soaps have bath bombs inside, and are called "exploding frogs"..the soap itself is a peppermint scented glycerin and is very nice on the skin. The yarn is her very own handspun, and the fibre in the bag is supposed to be spun in such a way that you create subtly striping yarn. I'm quite excited to try the technique.

I enjoyed that swap (amazing! NO FLAKES! It's like we've rubbernecked so many swap dramas that no one was willing to become a swappy drama. It was awesome!) so much that I signed up for the magic yarn ball one too. A magic yarn ball swap is where the sender takes a skein of yarn and wraps it around little goodies, and the recipient finds those goodies as they knit the yarn (or unwrap it all at once because they are impatient, which will be what I do with it, lol). I've already started collecting stuff for my swapee and it's been fun.

The next thing that came by mail was my July shipment of the booty club

Aren't those colours gorgeous? I don't think there has been a single shipment in booty club that I haven't loved completely.

Then the August shipment of the Mean Girls Yarn Club, and this month's mean girl is the Queen of Hearts from Alice in Wonderland!

The yarn is called "Heartless Tart" and I'm thinking I make make a shawl or wrap. It's a very generous skein so there is plenty to make a nice sized one. The extras this time included a seashell stitch marker, a handmade sucker (which was supposed to be a heart shape but melted a little, still tasty though!) and a crochet hook key chain to pick up dropped stitches. I'm so loving this club!

Finally, I posted a couple things about my not being able to attend Sock Summit 2009 (I've heard rumours about Sock Summit The Second, and if they are true I am massively stoked because I can totally get there!). My friend Hope did get to go and offered to be our proxy shoppers while at the marketplace. I gave her my spending limit, told her a ball park of what I wanted and told her I trusted her judgement for what she would bring me. I was so right to trust her!

Within moments of getting my goodies, I stashed them in my cleavage

This is quite possibly one of the worst pics of me, but it's too funny not to share. And that's Stephanie/Hellcat's hand going for my bewb.

Hope got me:

The yarn on the right is a Blue Moon Fibre Arts Rare Gem, which means that it's a colourway that is a bit of an oops and won't be repeated. I love it! The yarn on the left is Pagewood Farm Alyeska, which is a CASHMERE, merino and nylon blend, in a colourway called Army Girl. It's incredibly soft and the colours are awesome! Most of my pink and green stash is more pink than green, so this is a nice balance. I'm thinking it's going to be a scarf/shawl/wrap with a leaf pattern on it. The needles are from Kollage Yarns, and they are square! They are supposed to prevent wrist pain when knitting, and so far so good...I've spent much of this afternoon knitting socks with them and I have no pain at all. The cable is really flexible, but the join needs improvement. I do like them though.

So that catches us up with my latest stash enhancements. I have been doing a lot of knitting (mostly socks) so keep an eye out for a parade of FOs.

3 comments:

Steph VW said...

Did I ever tell you that in our Grade 4 play, "The Trial of Alice in Wonderland", I played the Queen of Hearts?
My best line was, "Off with their heads!!!!"

I LOVE that yarn. Gorgeous.

Unknown said...

Exploding Frogs! Neat-o.

Anonymous said...

WHAT CAN I SAY? MY HANDS LOVE BEWBS!