I've finally gotten around to casting on that project...and I regret not doing it sooner.
Look how pretty!

It's a really interesting knit. The kit came with 4 smallish skeins of yarn, basically each one is 1/4 of what you need to make the pair. You start off with colour #1, then you do a 20 row transition of switching from old ball to new ball, then knit from the new ball until it's time to switch again. The result is a gradual change in colour. Beautiful.
This ties into the Sin of Gluttony because there is a "gluttony of colour" and the socks are knit at a fine gauge, making it a "gluttony of stitches". Not to mention that once I got going I could not get enough...therefore making me a "glutton for the project", lol!
The pattern gives you the option of making a fraternal pair, meaning you start the second sock with colour #4 and end with colour #1. I haven't cast on the second sock yet (mostly because I finished this one at 2am last night...not a time to try and cast on a second!) and now I'm trying to decide which way I'll go...I love the look of this sock, but I'd also like to display the greeny-blue shades on the foot.
Another good thing about this pattern is that it has leg shaping. Which is nice for a gal like me whose legs have curves, I find some patterns which the leg is straight to be a bit snug above the ankle, this sock fits nicely. The yarn for this sock is Verve, which is superwash merino and incredibly smooshy and lovely.
The club is put together by The Unique Sheep and sold through three vendors, I'm with Wool Girl (who puts together some really cool sock kits...I signed up for her Sanrio Friends kit and I just put my name down for the Hallowe'en kit, which is Wicked Witch of the West. Awesome!). Now, because the Gluttony socks are exclusive to the club (for now, I think the plan is to release them later, but I'm not 100% sure), you can't get them yet. But...
You can get your hands on some of the yummy Gradiance Collection. And if you need inspiration, you can buy either a sock kit or a really pretty scarf kit. Personally, I think the whole thing is just genius.
Speaking of genius...the new issue of Anticraft is up. And my dear friend Cate has her very first published pattern featured in it! It's called Baba Yaga and based on a folk tale that is a favourite of Cate's from her childhood. If you go check it out (it is really beautiful) make sure to check the photos...my Molly showing off her mad modelling skillz.
Congrats Cate!!
Well, that's it for me for now, I'm off to finish reading the book that is due back to the library today while I wait to hear back from the auto shop...Van is in for it's MVI and to find out the cause of that weird scraping noise it makes when we back up and turn (I hope it's not as expensive a noise as it sounds...)
4 comments:
Thanks Lesley, and Thank-you for photographing it for me! Oh, and the socks are lovely. I wish I could make a pair.
That is a VERY gluttonous sock.
And that issue of Anticraft is so full of win! I have to get a knitting spool just so I can make that bookmark.
Yay Cate!!!
Interesting...I wonder how the other sins will be interpreted (Like wrath. That one's a toughy. Lust will be a good one).
You're becoming quite the knitwear photog. I seem to remember your pics showing up in Knitty as well!
oooooo sock.
I vote to switcheroo the colour order for the others. Matching socks are entirely too much effort. (Or is that just me?)
Post a Comment