Monday, January 21, 2008

Getting my sh*t together

For a while my darling husband has been suggesting that I do something more than pile my knitting stuff on, under and around a little table between the desk and what I think of as "my knitting chair." For months I have been seeking the perfect piece of furniture to achieve the organization I desired.

End tables were not cutting it, shelving seemed to be extreme, I needed something with a cabinet. And...something that did not cost a whole whack of money.

Thanks to Wal-mart, I found this nice-but-not-expensive microwave cart. I assembled it myself (did not attach the wheels, a rolling cart just strikes me as a Very Bad Idea, what with the small people I have around), and got organized

Inside the cuboard there is ample space for my drop spindle and fibre, the ball winder and the smaller parts to the swift, my needle cases, various yarns that for some reason or another are out here instead of back with the rest of the stash, my knitting bag and so on.


On the shelf where I assume one might put a microwave (if one already had a place to organize one's knitting stuff), I have my collection of knitting patterns, books and magazines. George is in place as the Guardian of Knitting Knowledge


Rose and Jr were here as well...but there is a small girl who seems to think that Rose and Jr belong to her, and whenever she gets her little hands on them she spirits them off somewhere. I know they'll turn up, they always do.

The top holds the things that really ought to be on an end table in your livingroom (bonus: dual purpose!); the lamp, phone, basket of remotes, tissue and the Stitch n Bitch Page-A-Day calendar



Note my favourite feature: the child lock. Tiny fingers can no longer get into my knitting projects and pull out needles, they can no longer unravel neat little centre pull balls or injure themselves on any number of pointy sticks...

(assuming of course that I never forget to lock it, or that I don't leave a project laying around...or that the little geniuses don't figure out the lock...)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

That looks great! I do hope the munchkins leave the lock locked. :) Super solution to your knitting area. samm

Alison said...

I want to know how you managed to squeeze an extra piece of furniture into your living room?

Cate said...

What an awesome idea! I love it! I may just have to steal that idea.

Megan said...

Very clever!

Knittynutter said...

Hmmmmmmmmmm
might have to pinch that idea!!Great Idea..
Also love the blue bag wth pink butterfly on in your photo album, any idea where the pattern is?
happy knitting
Angie

The Ninja Knitter said...

Brilliant! Looks great, and it's a good idea to keep it all contained and safe. Wise woman, you are!

Steph said...

you're awesome. I think perhaps Alison doesn't know about the 4th dimension in your living room. Hee hee.

The 4th dimension is a great place for storage! I lived in a dorm room for long enough to know how to store a bicycle, a trunk, all my books and cds, and the entire legislature of a small democratic country... just in my closet.

Alison said...

But Steph, the 4th dimension is already full in Lesley's house. Lesley, it amazes me that every time I come over you've moved the furniture again. It's amazing that you can find so many ways to rearrange so much stuff in such a small space. I can't figure out how to rearrange like that and I have much more room in my living room!

My word verification is fuqknst. I don't know what it is, but it sounds nasty!