Monday, January 07, 2008

Maybe they'll name it after me

Some of you who know me in real life have heard me talk about my crazy sleep walking episodes. They involved very scary dreams that I "act out", usually I'm trying to protect my children or my husband from some percieved threat (like Ninjas and demons, you know, regular stuff). And as crazy as that sounds, it gets crazier. These dream/hallucinations are incredibly real to me, and incredibly scary.

So...I brought my concerns to my dr, who then decided that the best course of action would be to send me to a Neurologist. I went the dr mostly because these episodes are causing some pretty serious sleep deprivation. I'm freakin exhausted...and so is Phil. He's a loving and patient man...but it wears a person out to have to talk someone outta their tree a couple nights a week.

I saw the neurologist today, and he's, well...he's perplexed.

I'm describing two sleep disorders that usually don't mix. REM Sleep Behaviour Disorder, where dreams are acted out but it's obvious the person is asleep, and Sleep Walking where for all intents and purposes the sleeper appears to be awake and somewhat coherent.

I'm acting out vivid dreams and I look like I'm wide awake.

He's never seen this before.

He's never even heard of it before.

So...maybe I have a whole new sleeping disorder. Maybe they'll call it Lesley's Sleeping Disorder, or Lesley Syndrome. Or, most appropriately, Waking Everyone In the Middle of the Night Lesley Style.

We're still sorting out treatment, because the meds typically used for RSBD are fairly powerful and come into the breastmilk (no good for Gabriel). In the meantime, I'll be waking Phil when he's home and not sleeping at all when he's on night shift. Good times.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good grief. Sounds nerve-wracking (for you included).

Marti said...

So weird...I just had a sleep walking episode recently that I blogged about as well. Not as severe as yours, and I don't sleep walk all that often. Hope you get it sorted out. Sleep disturbance isn't good.

Anonymous said...

That's would be pretty cool- have a whole disorder named after you! But, then again, maybe not. Hope something works!

Anonymous said...

LSLS - Lesley Sleep Loss Syndrome?

or Lose Lose... as in you lose sleep and so does your partner.

I imagine it's difficult, being the person for whom a disorder is named. I didn't realize that the sleepless nights were still going on. That's awful!

Anonymous said...

I hope you sort that out very soon! Poor Phil,y but mostly, poor you. You must not even rest properly...

I'll suggest Lesley's Funky Sleep Syndrome :)

kisses*

Knitting Keep Me sane said...

That really stinks you have a little one like me and you are sleep deprived :(.

Certainly not what you want to have named after you. I hope the find something to help you. It also seems they do not have a lot of meds out there that you can take when nursing.

Hope you find some help out there.