First of all, I need to make a pretty important PSA. It's not knitting related, it's baby related. WAIT! NO! I'm not pregnant, settle DOWN! But if you are pregnant, or planning to become pregnant, or know someone who is pregnant, or have a baby who receives formula either full time or as a supplement, or know a baby who drinks formula PLEASE get over to my other blog My Inner Goddess Speaks.
Moving on...
Last weekend:
As you all know we hit the Ozzy concert last weekend, but what you don't know is that the Neily Family also participated in their new family activity.
Letterboxing. (if you click that it will bring you to an "about" page)
I heard about through a Lime&Violet podcast and it sounded interesting, so I talked about to my husband (meh response) and then to Cameron who was much more excited.
Saturday we logged our second find, in Point Pleasant park. Now, I can't show you all the photos we took (since I don't want to give away it's location), but here is the box we found:

Oh yes, George came with us. But quickly ditched us in the cold for the warmer, cozier blanket with Gabriel

Cam's pretty excited about this new hobby. I like that it gets us outside! And now that I've finally found the materials to make our own stamps we can get carving and hide a few boxes of our own.
A Story From the Night of the Concert:
The night of the Ozzy concert we were late getting on the road. Not because dinner ran late. Not because after running through the park we both needed showers. No no...We were late because of this:

Grace somehow managed to slide her feet into the front windows of her Fisher Price Family Home. And could not get them back out again.

It took both her parents and her big brother to get her back out again. For a very brief moment I considered packing her into the car like that and letting her grandparents deal with it.
Kids.
The Knitting
After finishing the back to basic socks I thought I'd revisit a pattern that had me begging for mercy a while back. It's called Kaibashira, and it really appealed to me. But that first freakin row with the loops was just not coming off my needles. Drops, missed stitches, missed counting...seven tries later I was DONE.
But after finishing the basics, I felt I needed a challenge. I started visiting the pattern online, and finally I did some stash diving and pulled up a beautiful skein of sea wool. Oh yes, this would work.
And it did. I kicked that 1st row's ass. I mastered that loopy thing and I had some serious knitting mojo on the go.
But...

As I knit down the leg and then past the heel and started down the gussets....

I realized that I don't care for these. I don't know if it's the ruffle (too girly, even for me)or if it's that I don't think this yarn compliments the pattern or the pattern does nothing for this yarn...but I really don't like these. I've set them aside until I can bring myself to pull the needles. I might use the leftover yarn from whatever I do end up using that yarn for to make a pair of ruffled socks for Grace (little girls can get away with extremely girly socks).
(You will not be surprised to learn that sudden discovery of not liking the socks pretty much came on the day after my copy of Favorite Socks arrived)
I flipped through Favorite Socks and the Embossed Leaves pattern kept jumping out at me. So I grabbed up my kool-aid-dyed yarn and cast on. That was Monday. Tuesday night at KOL I finished the first one. Number 2 is part way through the second lace repeat.
I LOVE these socks!

The yarn (knitpicks superwash merino with nylon, in bare) is just heavenly (so soft!) and I love the colour and the slight changes in the pinks and how they showed up on the sock. The bottom of this foot has a pool of darker pink, it's really cool. The photo is not doing the colour justice at all. Think Strawberry Bubblegum.
I've finished my Buster Buddy for my swap pal in the Hot Cocoa Swap...if I think of it I'll post a pic of it once I know she has it.
My final update is on Tussie Mussie. I have knit 100 miles on this sweater, and it still only measured 12.5 of the 13.5 inches it needs to be before I can escape reverse stockingette stitch hell to make the sleeves (which start again with some of the flower detail to lull you back into submission before making you go round and round in stockingette again. Oh, I am SO on to you Tussie Mussie!!). I am taking the obvious course of action and am going to ignore it for a few days, after which it will measure 14 inches I am sure.
Final note
Anyone else seen the commercial for the new Macbook Air?
Anyone else think "Gee, I would break that taking it out of the box."
No? Just me then?
Ok.
8 comments:
I really like the pink and green sock yarn.
I have seen the mac book air. It's prettty nifty looking, but does not have much for a hard drive and has no CD ROM. You really have to have an iMac too and use this as a second computer.
Heh heh... You know, getting my feet and hands stuck in my Fisher Price toys is how I got started with putting things on my head.
After a bannister "extraction" I discovered that there is less chance of getting stuck if something is just balanced on your head.
grace looks oddly pleased at the predicament that she got herself into... you must admit it required some clearly thinking!
OMG- That picture of her feet in the house is awesome!!!
Off to look up letterboxing.
Aw! I love how proud Grace looks to have gotten her feet stuck!
And yea the Macbook Air looks impressive, but it doesn't have a CD/DVD drive!! You have to buy an external one for $99. Or it can "wirelessly access" a nearby computer with a DVD/CD in the drive... It looks amazingly sleek but sometimes I wonder.
I agree that those socks looked a bit frilly. Love how gorgeous & bright the red is!
I won't let my little ones see that photo. We have that same little house. Wouldn't want them thinking about trying it.
I'm excited to see your letterboxing comments. I found that recently somewhere and we've been looking into getting our stamp so we can start. There are a bunch close to our house so it seems easy enough with little ones...and then fun to try when they're older and we travel. I don't listen to podcasts though...now I wish I did. I'll have to figure that one out.
You know, I think maybe the sock and the yarn just aren't a match.
I'll have to go google letterboxing, since I have no idea what it is!
Kids do the darnest things, that is for sure. I love the lacy socks. I am such a fufu girl. Good job on dyeing the yarn. I would break the Mac as well, not just you at all.
Post a Comment