ETA: I just added the shawl pin photo and edited this post...only had to correct one line! Go me!
This weekend we Neily's piled into our borrowed jeep and headed to Pictou where my dear friend Janet was getting married to Troy. Janet is one of my longest friendships, beat out only by Karen (who has an advantage since she's my cousin too and has known me since my birth) and she's the last of my gals to get hitched. While I am so ready to hang up my bridesmaid shoes, having stood in all 5 gals weddings (serving 3 times as maid of honour and twice as bridesmaid)...I was so incredibly excited to have been a part of Janet's day. Troy is a great guy (*almost* worthy of my best friend), and he makes her incredibly happy. She certainly deserves it!
Just wanted to give a shout out to the maker of the portable DVD player. You rock dude. We borrowed one and Grace did not try to escape her carseat once during the entire trip. Whoot!
We arrived earlier than we expected to, having left home early anticipating car trouble (but the jeep decided to behave itself), and found ourselves with downtime before the rehearsal. We checked into our chalet, home for the weekend:

Grace promptly ran through the livingroom, slid into the futon and put her teeth through her bottom lip

Crises over, bags unpacked, special clothing hung with care, baby asleep and the older children occupied with a movie...I found myself with nothing to do for 2 whole hours
I looked out the window, and the adirondack chair beckoned. This looked like a good place to knit

I was right

Especially since I got to watch the llamas frolic

Later I met up with the bride and we held the rehearsal, then the rehearsal dinner, followed by a bonfire, roasted marshmallows and all sorts of fun (ok ok, I was in bed by 11pm).
Saturday morning dawned and we ladies trekked off to the salon for beautification.
I love weddings. And I must say, my absolute favourite part is the transformation of ordinary girl into Bride. Now, Janet is lovely girl regardless...but on her wedding day, in her gown with her hair done...she was stunning

Her gown was very much like Janet; beautiful, elegant, and with just that bit of something extra that makes her so unique

And yet, under the make-up, fancy hair and gown...she was still very much herself

Grace is Janet's Goddaughter, and she got to wear a special yellow dress (as did Janet's niece/Goddaughter) and received a pretty braclet to wear with it

Grace was very eager to get to the dance and boogie in her new shoes, and we had some fun partying away

She finally let Phil take her back to the chalet to bed while I stayed a bit longer, until I realized that no amount of Pepsi was going to keep my eyes open and I ought to follow them.
(You may have noticed a lack of Cameron or Gabriel pics. I do have photos of Gabriel...sleeping. As for Cameron, he went through a phase this week where if a camera was pointed at him he would hit the dirt. I have a few blurry shots of half his back. Not posting those.)
Sunday we rose, we ate, we packed and then we headed to the main lodge for the gift opening and goodbyes. (Marie...I meant it when I said I'd be on your doorstep looking for a ham dinner someday soon...see you then!)
We popped in a movie and headed out to Lismore Sheep Farm. Grace and I headed into the barn (they were having Open Farm day...Cam opted to stay in the jeep and continue watching "Cars"). Grace got to make a sheep with actual wool

Shockingly, I did not buy any yarn. I chatted with the lady about the needles, but since I'm not 100% sure what size I want to buy I did not get any. However, she told me to e-mail her when I have decided and they would bring them to the farmer's market for me. Great customer service ;) I did buy a lovely wooden shawl pin.

We detoured to the Sunrise Mercantile...which was closed :( Bright side...I have an excuse to do a road trip :)
At some point during our drive I finished sock #1

It's Opal Dreamcatcher (#1235) and the pattern is Jaywalker. They are not for me, and I'm pretty much winging it for size. They're meant to fit a size 8. The pattern is a lot of fun, and I've seen the sock yarn that I got in my Vacation Swap used a number of times in this pattern on Ravelry...so that's what it might become.
Then we got lost trying to find the Just Us. Phil knew which exit it was, but then doubted himself at the last moment and went way past it. We doubled back, got directions twice (they have a cafe location near Acadia. We know that now), then finally made it. I picked up the Mocha Java coffee you can't get in the city and some Peppermint Stick hot chocolate. Mmmm....
From there we headed to my Aunt's house, and made supper. We traded her jeep for her buick, since the jeep is giving us grief.
We also left with a new family member.

I present to you Ginny Snow Neily ("Ginny" as in "Cotton Ginnny", also a nod to a favourite Harry Potter character...plus Grace can pronounce "Ginny"...she could not say "Hermione". My original vote of "Alice" did not make it through the first round). My aunt's house has become a haven of sorts for homeless cats who find themselves in a family way, we suspect that they have some sort of network they are using to communicate that Booboo will take them in, feed them, take care of the vet bills and find homes for the offspring (then taking care of momma so it does not happen again). Anyone else looking for a kitten? There is another who looks just like Ginny here and a grey striped Tabby.
And before you ask...Molly is supremely pissed. I'm sure she'll get over it.
Ok...that about covers our great weekend away. I'm off to sleep for several days. G'nite!
2 comments:
Looks like you had a lovely time and the weather sure cooperated.
And any trip where you come home with a kitten is a good trip in my book! So cute! Do want!
I love love love your blogs... I know I sound like a stalker... I have not blogged since beginning of september... mainly because no one ever leaves comments and frankly that make me very lonely and unlistened to... but I digress... I check every single day to see what is going on in the Neily house.... the world of Lesley etc.... this was a great blog! do u need to edit your "about me" section? is this the second cat?
cheers
Heather
Post a Comment