Sunday, July 29, 2007

We did it!

And they said it wouldn't last...



Well...no one actually said that. How rude would THAT have been? But we were told that the first year can be really tough...



Whooo, boy...they were right! But we got through it all, and we're still here so I guess we've got something going for us ;)



I sat up late last night, watching wedding shows on Slice, specifically "Rich Bride, Poor Bride". I watched a couple double their budget. The groom was apparently on a wedding shopping spree, booking a very talented singer/songwriter to come in to sing their first dance ($750 for ONE SONG), a photo booth, crazy expensive decor...they spend near $30,000 on their big day. I've seen others shell out more than $100,000, do crazy things like have 3 wedding gowns (one bride had a traditional gown for a Chinese tea ceremony, then her big white gown for the church ceremony, finally a simpler gown for the dance. None of these gowns cost less than $1000. Oh, and her dog was outfitted in 3 gowns too. Yup...her DOG).



We may not have had a huge blow-out with everything we've ever wanted in a wedding day, but we didn't go into debt either. My entire outfit head to toe cost me about $200.00. My dress and tiara I got off of ebay (the dress itself was $11.54). Phil's tux was free. We snagged sales for the kid's outfits. My aunt made my pale pink cake that would have cost several hundred dollars had I bought it from a special bakery. Our flowers, which were stunning, came from Superstore. Our photographer was reasonably priced and very talented. Our DJ was probably our biggest single expense, but worth every single penny. We got deals where we could and splurged where it was necessary.



Of course, things like our minister waiving the church fees helped. And the biggest help was that my parents gave us the reception. We'd probably still be saving for our wedding if they hadn't. That or the guests would have been eating happy meals, haha. And our wedding party got together and bought us a room at a bed and breakfast, so we even got a little honeymoon.



It had many very special touches too. My veil was my mother's, and I was the 5th bride to wear it. We used the cake knives my parents used on their day. One of my bridesmaid's father drove us around in his classic car. We took our photos where my parents had, and also took some alongside my grandfather's treasured pond. My brother played us in, and then sang during the ceremony. There were so many traditions and memories made.

And we shared the day with great friends



Looking back on that day, a year ago, I can still remember distinctly how I felt that day. I don't remember much about the ceremony, except thinking "God, I am so happy in this moment. I really have to tone down this grin because I probably look like a complete idiot."

To the man who makes me feel that way every single day:

Happy Anniversary babe, I love you

9 comments:

Miss Me said...

happy anniversary!

jlmack said...

Congratulations... you look so happy.

Alison said...

Doesn't seem like a whole year ago. Although I suppose Gabriel is proof that it was!

FrozenExtremities said...

Happy anniversary! You were such a beautiful bride. And yay for low-budget weddings!!

Cate said...

Happy Anniversary!

Anonymous said...

Hey - Happy Anniversary!

Sounds like my kind of wedding - actually, I would love to have a happy meal at a wedding reception. Probably much tastier than some of the meals I've had (plus the toy!)

I am a firm believer that money spent on a wedding is not directly proportional to the level of happiness.

You look bee-yoo-tee-ful...

Devonshire said...

Lovely photos and a very Happy Anniversary to you both! Many more years to you!

Amanda said...

Wow, that's a heck of a dress for under 12 bucks! Love it. Congratulations on your anniversary!

goosefairy said...

Lovely story about your wedding. I've always wondered if there was an inverse ratio between amount spent on a wedding and how long the marriage lasts. My dress was my sister-in-law's which incorporated part of her grandmother's wedding dress. My photographer was my neighbor across the street. I was married at home and my mother made the cake; I made my maid-of-honor's dress and all the family on my parent's side made the food. Very very inexepensive and we've been married 27 years.