Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Camping is fun, right?

So...Phil had a four day weekend. We've not been to Mom and Dad's camp since I was freshly pregnant with Grace. Mom and Dad had gone a couple weeks ago, and I found myself to be a bit jealous, I wanted to go camping! So we packed up, budgeted for a car and a number of other things and we were off!

And it rained.

And rained.

And RAINED!!!!!

We, being Bluenosers, were not going to let a wee bit of wet spoil our camping experience. We own a ginormous tent that is quite waterproof and the first night of pounding rain we were cozy and dry.

It would have been lovely if not for the screaming.

Grace, it would seem, is absolutely terrified of bugs. She wailed to go home, shrieked in terror at every fly-by. We had bought her a nice Dora 3-in-1 bed (air mattress with a sleeping bag attached, also folds into a chair-like thing), that she refused to sleep in come nightfall ("Nooooo, Mommy, I sleep in your bed...AHHHH THE BUGS!!! AHHHHHHH!!!!"). Grace's distress caused Gabriel to become distressed as well, and he was soon screaming in terror.

So, picture this if you will: A tired and dishevelled mother, sitting on an air mattress in a tent as the rain pours down. In her left arm is a screaming baby wrapped in a soft blankie. In her right a shrieking toddler. The mother says "sssh sshhhh, it's ok, it's ok" while the father next to her rubs the back of the toddler trying to encourage her to come into his arms instead. The beauty part? Gabriel cried louder when the lights were out, because he could not see me. Grace cried harder with the light on because she could see the bugs, and our shadows playing on the walls terrified her as well.

I look at Phil and ask "What the hell were we thinking?"

The wee ones finally fell into an exhausted sleep, and we were able to start to get our rest. Which is when I remembered that I am a born-and-raised city girl. The extreme quiet and darkness of the woods freaked the crap out of me. I must have woken Phil up a dozen times saying "what was that?" while every scary tv show and movie involving serial killers and camping flash through my mind.

I'd show you pics from that first day...but guess what I did?

We went into Lunenburg on Friday to wander about and see the Fisheries Museum. I wanted to get a pic of Phil and the kids looking at the fish. The camera slipped from my fingers as I pulled it out of the case and did a lovely bounce on the hard floor. Now...it won't turn on. We headed into the Bridgewater Wal-Mart and bought us an upgrade, but since I can't re-format the SD card without losing everything on it, I can't show you those pics. And I was unable to get pics of the kiddies on the boats or playing in the toy area. Good one Les, well done.

Friday night the rain gave us a break and we enjoyed a fire and s'mores. Cam had brought his fishing rod, and we picked up a Dora one for Grace that has a weighted fish on it for learning to cast.



She had to try it immediately and had we let her would have slept with that fishing rod.

Cam rigged up a bucket and rope thing and enjoyed himself by tossing it out and pulling it in, then dumping the water. He got a bit more than he bargained for


That night was better for Grace, we were able to transfer her to the Dora bed once she was asleep. Although, we may have to tie down the bed next time since I woke up to find she had rolled over and the bed was on it's side.

Saturday dawned hazy, with drizzle and overcast. Sure enough, the skies opened and the rain rain rain came down down down. Just before lunch Phil took the kids out in the canoe to enjoy some fishin


I went into the tent to settle the baby down for a nap. I lay down in the bed...and my feet were suddenly wet. I look up, and sure enough the tent had succumbed to some pooling, which wicked into the tent. Directly onto our bed. Rain outside I can handle. Rain inside...not so much. I got the baby settled and began to pack. When Phil returned with the kids I told him that I give up, we're going home.

We headed back into the city, and I checked on the delivery status of my Harry Potter book...to discover I missed being able to pick up my copy at the post office by 10 minutes, so I still needed to wait until monday to get it.

Oh yes...on the way home we went through Mahone Bay as planned and I popped into Have A Yarn. What a lovely shop! Lots and lots of goodies in every nook and cranny. Yarns I've not heard of. If I were independantly wealthy, I could have easily set the owner up for her retirement, there were that many beautiful things.

I did pick up these:



Sea Silk and Sea Wool. I can't stop petting either of them. They are so pretty I want to cry. The Sea Silk is on it's way to becoming Clapotis, and the wool has not yet told me what it would like to become. The Knitters out there will understand when I say this: I had a blue sea silk in my hand, when the red said to me "I want to be yours. I will make a nice clapotis." And I said "yes, you will. Do come home with me." Then the sea wool said "Can I come too? I don't know what I want to be yet, but I promise it will be pretty." And I said "Of course. You will reveal what you are in due time."

Please don't send the men in white coats after me just yet.

Sunday we took advantage of having a vehicle and went visiting in the valley. We got to see Phil's Nana, his mom and neice, our friend Lorraine and crashed Jonathon and Cathy's supper. It was a great day.

Yesterday I spent much of the time reading HP. If anyone spoils the end for me...I will hurt them. Just so you know. I don't understand why people do that. What's the thrill there anyway? Their mothers must be so proud to have raised such dicks.

Anyway, I'm off to get ready to greet my cousin and her family as they arrive from Ontario.

Later!

2 comments:

Steph said...

Life is an adventure with children, isn't it?

I wonder if I might have an answer to your problem with the old memory stick...

Marti said...

I know this is an old post, but I have to say that Have a Yarn may just be my favourite place on earth.