Monday, July 02, 2007

How we spent Canada Day

Since the doctor ordered me to stay off my feet to heal my ankle*, our plan to hit the Canada Day Festivities were discarded. We, the children and I, hung around the house, watched our fish swim about (we can see them now since we have a light), I got loads of laundry done, and watched Go Diego Go! three times. I began to regret buying Grace the DVD when I caught myself singing the theme song....

When Phil came home though, I decided I'd had enough of this hanging around...we were going to the fireworks. Initially we were going to walk down, but by the time we got halfway down our road my leg was protesting and we opted to bus down instead.

While waiting, Phil and Cameron finished reading the first Harry Potter book


Cam is very excited for Daddy to come home this evening so they can begin the second book. I am less excited...while I love the series, I'd prefer that Cam be a bit older before getting into the heavier subject matter that comes into play in books 3-6, and what I am certain will be a very dark book 7. Phil seems to think that he'll be able to handle it, but what he tends to forget is that he is never home when Cam thinks of the hard questions he wants to ask. It's always me who he asks, everything from obscure science questions ("what does a lobster eat?") to death ("how come cancer kills people?") to awkward reproductive queries ("ok, but HOW did Daddy get his part of the DNA inside you to make the baby?"). Never Dad.

Ok, I'm off topic. Back to Canada Day.

Grace took the wait as an opportunity to have a quick snooze


Gabriel did too, but woke up before I could get a photo.

They were all awake for the show though, and quite amazed:


Once the fireworks were over, Grace threw a mini-tantrum over being put into Phil's camoflage mei tai carrier. I don't get her resistance to the carriers...she wants to be carried but freaks out if you put her in a carrier. She's where she wants to be, it's just not how she wants to be there I guess. Contrary monkey. We'll just have to keep at her, because just carrying her in our arms is really hard.

This morning Cam woke up at 9 and asked for a yogurt and to watch tv, and then went out to the living room. Grace and Gabriel did not wake until after 10. It was lovely, because since we were cozied up together, I got to sleep until 10 too.

Today, my older children occupied themselves while the wee one napped, and I was able to sew the bag for the Hogwarts Sock Kit Swap 2. I think it turned out very well, seeing as I've never done anything like it before and that I'm a sewing novice. As I started it I began to regret the decision to sew a bag instead of my first idea which was to make a felted bag. But I'm really quite pleased with the results. I'll post pics once my recipient gets her package, I don't want to spoil the suprise:)

*did anyone else notice the shape of my scrape on my leg? It looks like a bat. Go take a look, I'll wait......See?

5 comments:

Jane said...

Hi Leslie,
You left a message on my blog asking how I managed to skip to September. Not that I want to skip to September, summer in Maine is way too short as it is. But I wanted to keep my KVVS questionnaire at the top of my blog and I learned this really neat trick where if you change the date on the post to a future date you can keep that post at the top.
So - anyway, that's how I skipped to September - but maybe in September I will go back to June LOL.
I LOVE Nova Scotia - we used to go up every year, but haven't been for a few years now.
Jane

(from KVVS)

Alison said...

Lesley, this is your new standard answer to difficult questions from Cameron:

"I don't know Cameron, but that's a great question. Why don't we write it down and ask Dad when he gets home".

There you go. My gift to you. The perfect answer for the difficult question.

I love your scarf at the top of your page, but you need to change the subtitle font from black so we can read it.

Miss Me said...

You're right - it does look like a bat! Love the new blog skin - very nice. I know about the boat playgrounds in Halifax (by the ferry and on the commons) and the one by the Dartmouth ferry... BIL is in Bedford (Hemlock something or other? Gazillions of $$$). Is there another one out there? My guys would be pleased!

Anonymous said...

Alison, that is hysterical. I'll have to file that one away for way in the future reference...

p.s. Yup, your leg is sending out a very scabby bat signal.

Miss Me said...

Wow! Thanks for the park info... Guess I know where I'm going on "retrieval" weekend.

I just noticed Cookie Monster on your blog... Hmmm... I think he has a point!