Monday, November 06, 2006

If I drop the ball this badly...then take my kids please.

We took the children to visit their pediatrician this morning (Grace is up a full percentile, whoo hoo! And Cam is growing like weed and doing great), this woman and her daughter came up to the bus shelter. The daughter looked about 14, but no older than 15. She could have been as young as 12 or 13 to be 100% honest.
The woman immediately pulls a cigarette pack out of her bag and goes for her lighter. Now, I know that smokers are extremely ignorant about how their smoking affects others (They don't wanna know, don't really give a rat's arse) and I say that with confidence because I was a smoker, quit now for 3&1/2 years (another reason to love my husband, he helped me get rid of that nasty habit). So I politely said "Excuse me, if you are going to smoke could you please move away from my children?" She looked at me in suprise, and said "Oh...uh, sure" and moved away. I'm positive that it never occured to her that her smoking might have been a problem for my kids, I was happy to point out her error.
Her lovely daughter, says to her mom "It's not like you were going to blow it in their faces" to which her Mom replied something I could not hear but the daughter stopped her little snarly comments.
While her daughter nods her head in agreement she pulls HER OWN PACK OF CIGARETTES OUT OF HER PURSE!!!! Then her loving mother PASSES HER A LIGHTER!!!! I was completely floored. Aside from the health reasons, providing tobacco to minors is against the law and this woman is aiding her daughter's habit. I'm still reeling from the shock. I have said before, even when I was a smoker, that parents who smoke around thier children, especially in cars and in the home, should be charged with child abuse. And this woman is supporting and encouraging this habit in her own kid. I made Phil promise that if I drop the ball that badly with our kids...he is to take them away from me, because I simply do not deserve them.
In knitting news:
Not much progress has been made over the weekend because I woke up Saturday am with muscle spasms in my neck. I could not move, could not get out of bed due to the blinding pain. I had Grace get me the phone, and called Phil to come home from work. We spent the morning at the Dartmouth General emergency, which is suprisingly quiet on Saturday mornings. I even got to decide what TV station to watch, although I did not get to watch long, since I was taken in pretty quickly. Phil has been an absolute godsend since for the 1st 24 hours I even needed help dressing and other stuff. It's good to have a 4th year nursing student around. I'm much better today, still not allowed to lift Grace, I'm not allowed to lift anything heavier than 5 pounds. I haven't tried knitting yet, since all the parts used for knitting are connected to my neck and over use of my arms, especially my right, seems to really set me off. I'll probably pay for this post actually...
BUT if I do finish knitting Grace's mitts (current almost done UFO) I can take a picture with my brand-new digital camera that Kodak was nice enough to send to replace the broken one. YAY!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't be shocked...but definitely be appalled...

Oh, god, neck pain is the worst (so is back pain) - I think it must have something to do with being such a big part of normal movement...I hope you feel better soon!

ps. Thanks for the nice scarf comments - I can't some to KOL this week (away for work), but I'll bring my books for sure next week!

Heather said...

I am absolutely as disgusted as you by what you witnessed!!!! And no worries about your hubby taking your kids... you would never remotely act like that mom!
your halloween pix were great!
check out mine on my msn space! I have started a blog too!
any luck on making some knit monsters for my fam for xmas?
hope your neck heals fast!
cheers
KrK Heather