Thursday, August 17, 2006

This is what happens when you don't pay attention

Ok, first, to Janet: I fixed it. And I think it will work. If not...well, we'll figure something out.
Last night I was knitting like a fiend, making super progress on Janet's purse. I had to put it down for a second, and I did this at one of the four stitch markers. And of course, it fell off. So, I checked the number of stitches on the other side just to make sure I put it back at the right place. Came up with mismatched numbers..and discovered this:

That's the side I did right. This is the other side, I've marked the problem:

And do you see the number of rows I've done since??? I nearly wept. Especially since, see how far I've come with the design:

(It's a flower, by the way)
This is the inside:

So you can see why I wanted to vomit at the thought of ripping it back. Especially since this is my 2nd attempt at this design, I've already ripped back this bag because I started the flower based on the old stitch count and the design was 7 stitches to the left. I decided to do something crazy.

See where I am going with this? Yeah, I ripped back those 4 stitches, then made my decrease and used my crochet hooks to pick it back up like you would a dropped stitch. I had to decrease by two on this side, then by one at the other marker:

Like so.
This is what it looked like when I finished:

Since then I have tugged and pulled and it's not so "gappy". I am hoping that what Lucy Neatby said at her felting workshop holds true "Felting hides a multitude of sins" God, I hope so. I don't think I could take it if I screwed up another felted bag with a picture on it.
This is something else that can happen when you are not paying attention:

Grace is really into sorting the dry cat food right now...note the mix of cat food and water

At least she's not eating it anymore. Poor Molly, she hasn't had a moment of peace since Grace got mobile. I doubt she'll ever forgive me for bringing children into her life.
ETA: This is what I get for bragging. All summer long, no matter how hot it was outside, we got this wicked good breeze into our apartment. Felt like air conditioning. Bonus of the top floor overlooking the lake and the harbour. Lately...ugh. The heat in our living room is oppressive. Even now, when dark and breezy and the temperature has dropped, it's still hot in my livingroom. The bedroom has faired better, and I am now off to have a cool shower then lay without moving on my bed. G'nite.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"At least she's not eating it anymore" Bwha ha ha - that made me laugh. Does she sort it into the respective shapes? Or by size?

Anyhoo, that was very brave of you, what you did with the dropping of the stitches. And it is one the non-flower side, so that is good. I really think felting will hide any wonkiness.

Alison said...

I dropped back 11 rows of one of the 8 stitch lace repeats on the socks I'm working on (it's only a two row repeat for the lace, so that's not as daunting as it sounds). Honestly, the first time you deliberately drop stitches to work back, well, it's nerve wracking, isn't it? But from now on you'll be able to do it with nonchalance and insouciance (don't you love those words?) because you know how easy it is, and how much faster than ripping back rows and rows of knitting!