Thursday, May 18, 2006

Socks, Baked goods and Very Important Jewerelly


Yesterday I knit like a lunatic and at around 10:30 pm I completed a sock!!! Whoo-hoo! Sock Victory! To be completely honest, it's a sock for Cam (my 6 year old) on good size needles...but still, Sock Victory! I know what you are about to ask, have you cast on the second sock to combat SSS? No...but I have a very very good reason. My boy is very fickle, and while he chose the yarn and it's crazy colours...there is a very good chance he won't wear the damn things. SO, this afternoon, when he is home from school, he is going to wear the completed sock for at least 2 hours...thus getting a good feel for it and if he doesn't complain or take it off before that time, I'll cast on the second sock. If he does complain...well, at least I will have only wasted time on one. But you can see from the blurry photo (cell phone pic...I've got to get a good digital) that it's a colourful sock that any 6 year old would be just tickled to wear!
So then, feeling quite domestic, I decided I wanted to bake. Today is Thursday, so I have knitter mommies coming over to hang for the morning (I say Mommies, but it'll probably just be me and C). Last week was C's b-day, Monday is her daughter's big 1st b-day, so I promised baked goods for her (C digs my baking). I decided on chocolate chip cookies and brownies...then discovered we were out of milk!!! I insisted Phil head to the store before it closed and get milk, I can't bake without milk....so off he goes, he returns shortly, but keep in mind it's 11pm when he comes home. By this point I have started the mixing process...and have realized that neither recipe calls for milk. I choose not to disclose this to the love of my life...if he noticed he has not said anything...to be fair we also needed milk for my tea and the kid's breakfast cereal...see how I can justify the mini-trantrum I threw when I discovered the milk shortage?
I learned that if you decide to make brownies while your cookies are baking you will probably get distracted and burn a few cookies. But your fiance probably won't care and cheerfully eat the black-bottomed ones.
This morning I woke up pretty darn pleased with myself...I was getting stuff knit, I baked 2 different yummies, and my apartment had remained tidy throughout. Then as I dressed I realized...my engagement ring was missing. I nearly threw up. It was not in the basket on the dresser, not on the nightstand, not on the microwave, not on the computer desk. It had not slipped off through the night in my bed. It was not in the sink with the rinsed dishes..oh gawd I washed a few dishes last night as I baked. I was positive the ring was now part of the plumbing. I took my boy to school, came back and literally pulled my living room apart (so much for tidy) as I waited for the rental office to open so I could have a plumber come in and open up my pipes. I tried not to think about how I was going to tell Phil.
Then I noticed that my jeans from last night were not in the right clothing bin (the laundry station is very organized into wash loads, denim has it's own bin), so I pulled them out to correct the mistake...then checked the pockets...my ring! I danced around the kitchen, startling the cat and making Grace giggle! I have NEVER put my ring in my pocket for safe keeping, but for some reason...there it was. The relief is overwhelming...and I may glue the damn thing to my finger from now on.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Let's try this again!

I've always taken my rings off to bake/wash dishes/do chores and have always put them in my jeans pockets. I have yet to lose one in the wash but it freaks out Mr. Happy so much that I've had to start putting them on the spice rack whenever I'm working in the kitchen.

I have done the mad "rip the house apart" once, and now, whenever I choose a different spot to take off my rings I say to myself, as I'm doing it - "You are putting your rings on the mantle. Don't forget this later or you'll go nuts."

I'm glad you found your ring!

I'm also glad Henry's teeth made you laugh.

Alison said...

Is R really one? And she was a just a newborn when we started hanging out to knit together. Wow. And we had a long weekend just to celebrate her birthday! If only I could be so honoured.

I am wearing my rainbow socks. They are bright. Oh well, nobody can see them under my trousers.

Alison