The Plan Part 1: Getting it Together
One of our knitting group members is about to get married. It has been a long road to get to the wedding day, road block after disheartening road block, and now that the day is coming together we wanted to celebrate.
Then we got the idea that wouldn't it to be oh-so-much fun to surprise her?
We sat down with a calendar one knit night while she was stuck at home (her groom is a military man and was away) and picked a date. Another of our group is a sales representative for Passion Parties, so we planned to start the evening with some food and drinks and see the new and fun toys for grown-ups. Date set, pm's of invites sent out and secret RSVPs sent back, and we had ourselves a party.
Part 2: Duping Our Bride
The Bride and I share a love of snarking on the Twilight Saga, that completely ridiculous, yet strangely addictive story of angsty sparkling vampires. We decided ages ago that we would go together to the see the New Moon movie, but that we'd go to an afternoon show and wear wigs so as not to be recognized.
When I realized that the night we planned the party was also the opening night of the film, I chatted with the Bride on the phone and said "Hey, know what would be fun? Let's go on opening night and laugh at all the Twi-hards!" She agreed, and a plan was set for her to come to my place for supper and then we'd head out to the late showing.
I furthered the lie by telling her I had bought our tickets ahead of time to make sure we got in and to wear a white bra because I had made us funny tee shirts to wear (I made HER a shirt, for her staggette, lol, with help from another knitter in our group).
Later, when I knew she'd be out, I called her groom to let him in on the plan, just to make sure he would get her to my place on time.
Part 3: Getting a Special Guest
Several times while we planned her wedding (I went with her while she got her dress and helped with other decisions, I'm also taking her pictures and helping her plan her shower), Our Bride told me how she missed her Matron of Honour. MOH lives in Quebec and they hadn't seen one another in a couple years, and wouldn't see one another until the wedding.
I sent MOH a message letting her in on the plan, and said "I know this is a long shot, but any chance you'd be able to get here? I'd love to see her face when she realizes you're here"
Lo and behold, the MOH made it work, and the morning of the party I picked her up at the airport. I had a really stressful trip to Wal-Mart picking up last minute items, worried that The Bride would have ventured out for the day to run errands and would catch us, lol.
The Plan in Action
That evening, knitters began to gather at my place
And we waited, jumping every time the phone rang or the door buzzed. We had been very good at keeping our secret, Alison even exchanged innocent tweets with the bride from my couch..."Bride: headed over to lulubelle's" Alison"Oh what are you two up to?"...lol
Finally she arrived and we all sat hushed and giggly in the livingroom....
And SURPRISE!!!! She was stunned, standing there with the brownies she brought for dessert, it took a few minutes for her to register that we were having a party for her!
But the best part was when the MOH walked out of the kitchen. Our Bride was just saying "Oh, I really wanted to go to the movie, haha" and MOH says "Are you over the shock of the party and ready for the next one?" The look on our girl's face was priceless
Once she picked up her jaw off the floor there were hugs, and nearly tears, and we got down to the business of eating and our rep got down to her business.
Then we gussied up the bride
And headed out on the town!
Had some laughs
And more than a few drinks...
I'm still sort of reeling that we managed to pull it off without her ever suspecting a thing. But it was a great night, fun had by all.
It is rather scary to think of what we could do if we used our powers for evil...
4 comments:
You got me really really got me. The second to the last picture doesn't look to inebriated, not at all ;)
Thank you, and your evil minions so very much!
What an awesome surprise!!
Nice one *high fives all around*
How wonderful! Made me a little mushy reading how thoroughly you all managed to give her an amazing treat... what great friends you all are!
Well done, I say!! Well done!
Post a Comment