Monday, September 15, 2008

Yeah, I bought more yarn and yarn related stuff.

Sigh, Phil is going to take away my bank account and credit card access. Sad thing is, that while I sort of cringe at how much I've spent on yarn and yarn related stuff, I am completely unapologetic about it. I know my stash is going to outlive me, I know I likely have more than I will ever knit...and I do not care. It makes me happy. And it could be worse, I could be spending this kind of money on crack. At least yarn is useful. You can't knit crack.

Anyhoo.....

I did some test knits for The Unique Sheep and earned myself some yarn credits. I was trying to decide how to best spend my earnings, and was thinking maybe a sweater's worth of this stuff (in this colour, if you're curious. I was thinking I might make this with it). When I noticed that they sell roving now.

I did some math, and decided I would order a lb of Superwash Merino/Tencel in the Seastorm colourway.



It's so pretty in person it makes me want to cry. I just hope my spinning skills can live up to it.

(As a side note...I learned I should not do math when tired. I fail at Tired Math, and ordered way more than I thought I did. FYI...there are 16oz in a lb)

While I was at it, I also ordered a skein of Tinsel Toes, which is hands down my favourite base yarn by Unique Sheep, in the meadow colourway


I don't know what it is about this colourway, but I love it. It might be that the photo that it was based on charms me to no end. It's totally different than anything else I have in the stash. It's one of those skeins that honestly, I don't care if I never knit it. Just having it is enough.

Moving on.

My mom called me on my cell the other day to ask if I could knit up a baby set for someone she knows who is about to become a Grandma. I said sure, and did a mental inventory of the stash to find something suitable, but told myself I'd probably get inspired if I sat amongst it.

On my way home I popped into Tangled Skeins, since I was looking for a feltable pink to use for something for Grace (more on that later), and found something suitable for the baby project in the discount bin;

3 skeins of Serendipity Tweed (Brown Sheep) in the colour "Yellow Buttercup"

I also scored a skein of cotton fleece in "blush"...and when I got home realized I already had a skein of that in the stash. Oops. Oh well, two will be more than enough to make a ballerina wrap for Grace.

What else?

"Hat Attack! 2: The Death Hat Always Knocks Twice" launchs tomorrow. South West Trading Company is the offical sponser for this event, using their new yarn Therapi as the "official yarn". It's not a requirement to use the official yarn, but I had planned to because I was curious about Therapi and its jade content. However, slacker me waited too long to order it and it was not going to come in time, so instead I opted for one of the alternate yarns. I chose Berroco Inca Gold (merino silk blend). Gotta say, love the feel of this yarn. Will likely make other stuff with it later.

The details of the game require 2 colours of yarn, so I asked Grace to choose my colours (since she was with me at the Loop). I really like her colour choices actually, girl's got a good eye

It's going to be hard to send off this hat. Actually as I write this, I just received a message from The Oracle of HA...I have my target's name and address. Mwahahahahaaa!

Grace also helped me choose a new tape measure. I love my wooly sheep one from Lantern Moon, but I checked it against my gauge measure...and an inch is no longer an inch on it.

I think this is a pretty cute replacement. Wooly Sheep will stay in the notions bag though, for now. Seems weird to take it out.

So, that sums up what I've just bought. Apparently though, good things are en route by mail though...Seven Deadly S(p)ins 4th shipment has been sent out, and my Sanrio kit from Woolgirl should be arriving any day now, and it's almost time for Booty Club September to be mailed.

Dammit...I need to get knitting!

Speaking of knitting...this is my current project:


I'll explain later.

10 comments:

Steph VW said...

EHN! EHNNNNN!!!!

*Straining to understand cute project with all the pink*

A pound of yarn.

heh heh.

A whole POUND!

Alison said...

ballet slippers? Elephant or bunny years?

fitncrafty said...

I just had a grand time yarn shopping through your eyes! Looking forward to hearing about your next project!

Cali said...

Mmmmmm yarn...

That skein of Tinsel Toes in Meadow is to die for! I love how soft and spring day it looks...

And Grace looks like a lucky girl with that new project. Did you make the colour chart for the balet slipers yourself? What's it going to be???

Miss Me said...

a bag to carry miss grace's dancing shoes?

Barbara from Nova Scotia said...

Holy cow, that roving is gorgeous! I need to learn to use my spinning wheel, pronto.

Barbara from Nova Scotia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lisa said...

Okay, I agree with Miss Me on the current project.

That Tinsel Toes yarn is just beyond amazing, and I don't even like green all that much. I bet Munchkin would adore me more than usual if I were to break down and make her something from that.

I can only dream of what the roving will become, as I do not have the urge to learn to spin.

Thank you for letting me use your eyes for this magical shopping post.....

dontcareravelry said...

The pink project is coming out nicely. I think it will be great when it is completed.

Are you making a match to it? :P

Valerie said...

can't tell if they're shoes or ears. Or paisley gone pink. Or maybe eyes.


..... feltable, eh?