To start, little man has learned to walk. Which is cool and all, but he's also learned to CLIMB


So much of my time has been spent chasing after him and pulling him down from various pieces of furniture. He thinks it's a hoot that Mommy is forever saying "Gabriel! Get down!", but is royally pissed when placed on the floor.
Secondly, I was up to my eyeballs finishing my last assignment. I am all done classwork for my Early Childhood Education diploma, I'll do my practical experience in the fall and voila I'll be done. Not sure what I'm going to do with it, since I really am not interested in working in a classroom again (I did that for 6 years), I may look into resource centres, or opening a pre-school, or see what else I may need to get so I can work in early intervention. Or I might scrap it all and open a yarn shop. Who knows. The point is...I'm almost done.
In fibre news the lovely Deb, of Ninja Knitter fame, has sold me her spinning wheel.

It's a Louet S10 and I love it! Soooo much!!
I even made yarn:

It's lumpy and bumpy and uneven, but it's the prettiest yarn I have ever seen.
Berkeley and I have been super busy over the last month or so putting together the local World Wide Knit In Public Event, which we dubbed HRM WWKIP. My husband made our logo, we put together a Cafe Press shop, we begged for prize donations and shopped around for a location...and in the end it came together beautifully.

Roughly 50 knitters gathered on the lawn of the Spring Garden Road Public Library. We had prizes, Ilga Lega was doing demonstrations and had samples of her work, a photo scavenger hunt...it was all kinds of awesome.
Once it was over though, I crashed. I haven't been that bone tired since I gave birth, I kid you not. I enjoyed every minute though, the knitters in HRM and those who travelled to be here rock (we raised over a hundred dollars for Bryony House, plus I have a huge bag of knitted and personal care items for the women who stay there).
Friday I was out running endless errands when I noticed this weird cloud formation. I stopped to take pictures


I was shocked to learn later that it is actually a large forest fire in the Porter's Lake area. A very close friend of mine was evacuated (she had time to grab her dog, that was it) Friday afternoon, and Saturday afternoon when the wind shifted my parents, who live near Lawerencetown beach, were evacuated. My nerves are pretty shot right now, and I don't think I've ever prayed for rain this hard in my entire life.
I'll leave you with this:
May you be at least half as happy as this dog

This is Sam, my parents older pup. She's just happy to be here. It's a simple way to live. We could learn a lot from her.
7 comments:
Uh-oh! A climber! But I dig those cute little baby legs!
Your yarn is beautiful and the KIP event sounds like it turned out great.
Wisconsin has plenty of rain to spare and I bet Iowa would be willing to pitch in, too!
There has to be a climber in the bunch! My little climber (18 years ago) discovered how to run and jump onto the kitchen counter, then he would throw things into the Microwave and push the minute button!! He doesn't do that anymore though so, Gariel will out grow the fasicintation. Congrats on your coursework.
Have your folks been able to return home yet? I know that a lot of the evacuation orders have been lifted. Here's hoping we get some rain today so they can get that fire out. We're all pretty stressed worrying about all our friends out that way. (hug)
I would think that your everyday life should count as practicum for ECE! =)
Hope all is well with your parents. (I love their doggie).
Gabriel, get down!!!! I'm sure he's up on something, so I thought I'd help....
Your KIP day looks as if it was a fabulous success! Ours was too, about forty folk, sunshine and fun. :O)
I'm envying your spinning wheel, and that beautiful first yarn. I need to get busy and find a crank for my Goodwill wheel.
I'm hoping the fire people are back home safely, and Sam too.
samm
Welcome to the world of spinning! Your yarn is beeeeaauuutiful :) My wheel is currently collecting dust, but I have big plans for it, as a friend is sending me 4 lovely ounces of alpaca fiber!!!!
oops, didn't mean to post as anonymous...it's me, Robyn :)
Post a Comment