Monday, March 10, 2008

Well, isn't that just kick-you-in-the-crotch, spit-on-your-neck fantastic?

I have had a rather craptastic couple days.

To start, the weather and it's frequent changes has been really pissing me off. Be winter or be spring. Make up your frickin mind. Don't be balmy in the morning and snowing in the afternoon.

There have been some issues going on that I won't discuss on the blog (out of respect for those it involves) but it's been really wearing me down and making me quite sad. And making me feel a bit like smacking some of the participants around.

To make matters worse, Gabriel has been sick with a cold for a couple of weeks now. Cough, runny nose, congestion...poor little man. To add to that he's also been getting in his top two front teeth. So he's sick and his little mouth hurts. Friday his temperature spiked. And has not really gone down since. I had him to the Family Focus clinic on Saturday, where the dr said that it looks like he has a throat infection, and took a throat swab (I don't want to discuss how we did that...let's just say I'm pretty sure Gabriel forgives me. I am, after all, the One With the Milk). More tylenol given and we wait for test results.

Sunday morning, the temp goes up and stops responding to tylenol. My baby boy feels like a freakin furnace. Off to emerg we go.

Where we spend 5 hours in the waiting room getting to know some other kids with the same symptoms. Ranging in age from 4 months to 12 years.

ER doc declares that "it's just a cold" and to wait for the strep test. Bring him back if fever keeps going for a few more days. Gives me the "you silly little woman" look that I tend to get from male doctors. Made me no longer sorry that my baby kicked him in the face when he tried to look down his throat.

I get home (stopping to pick up supper from the Vietnamese restaurant Steph took us to last Tuesday...Phil really enjoyed the Hot and Sour soup, so thank you Steph from him).

I take a little break to do some solo knitting in the bedroom while Phil occupies the children.

We settle the children to bed and watch BB9 and some hockey. Poor Gabriel makes a few trips outside with Daddy to cool down.

Around midnight, Grace has moved back into our bed. She's twitchy and restless. And she's trembling a little. I say to Phil "I think she's getting sick." Phil dismisses my Mommy Intuition.

Around midnight, I start to feel warmth on the back of my neck. Like a heating pad. Grace has snuggled up to my back. I tell Phil to check her temperature.

Yup...she's got a fever. He gives her tylenol, and we settle back down.

About a half hour later when she vomits all over him, I try to be nice and supportive but can't suppress an "I told you so."

She vomits spectacularly a couple more times through the night, meanwhile Gabriel is giving off roughly the same amount of heat as the sun. He's so uncomfortable and he can't settle. I'm sandwiched between a baby who is making me sweat and a little girl who is essentially a time bomb.

I think I slept a grand total on 2 hours last night.

And had to wake early to go to a specialist appointment about my knee. Apparently the sprained ankle and bat-shaped scar are not my only souvenirs from my fall last summer, I've also damaged the tendons in my knee from smacking it on the ground. (One good thing, I just need some physiotherapy, not surgery).

Oh, and as the final insult to the last few days?

Our coffee maker died. It will not make any coffee. No coffee at all.

Well, Phil has just reminded me that if I want to get a nap I'd better go now, since he needs to go get some sleep so he can work tonight. Cross your fingers for me that everyone is on the mend and that I'll be able to get some sleep.

10 comments:

Cali said...

What a couple days. I wish I could help. Maybe I could look after the kids and you could run off before you loose your sanity...

poor kids, poor mommy...

I hope things are better soon! :(

jkleclerc said...

Sounds like a tough weekend at your place.

I have a coffee maker that I no longer use. It's just a cheap little one that could probably stand a good scrubbing, but if you want it it's yours.

Steph said...

I don't use our coffee maker at all. It's yours - ok? It's not fancy, but you can have it.

You're really not making parenthood seem very glamourous. Hee hee.

Anonymous said...

Hugs for you, Lesley,as I remember events like these. That and kids coming down with chicken pox as we were going out the door on vacation. Now they have chicken pox vaccine, I hear! A good investment. :O) Hope you get some rest.
p.s. You don't suppose Gabriel's snotty nose had anything to do with the broccoli.....
samm

jlmack said...

I hope you get rest, too! And that knee is going to be okay.

I'm ready to have a girly, sissy scratch-fight on your behalf.

Unless I'm one of the people you're frustrated with. If so, as punishment, I'll watch Hannah Montana with my roommates.

Miss Me said...

blogger is being obnoxious... it ate my comment!
short version: hope that everyone's feeling better.

(word verification: qkymoma - that somehow works with stomach flu!)

Hannah said...

Oh dear. I always hate taking little ones to emerg with a fever. I am familiar with that "there there crazy mommy" look from doctors.

I hope they're feeling a little better today. And that you don't catch it, too. :(

kasiaiscarly said...

sorry closing out the swap is turning into drama.

hope you find other ways to get your caffeine infusion!

Anonymous said...

Here's sending positive thoughts your way! My sister & Wyatt are sick too!

Anonymous said...

Jaichan, I'm tortured with Hannah daily ;-) I hope you get your package soon...

Lesley, I'm so sorry to hear about the kids, the pukies (thank god, as I knock on wood we haven't gotten that one this year)... If you need any help with your group let me know.. I"m so sorry that there have been some less than 'good' participants in the swap... sadness...