Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Good things coming by mail

First up, my prize from this contest arrived last week. With all the b-day hoopla I totally forgot to blog it. This is what I won:

It's the Interweave Knits Holiday issue, and 2 balls of Patons SWS. The yarn is soft and smooshy and I have no idea what I'm going to make with it. I've searched through the Ravelry forum and found lots of ideas...that either need more than what I have or only use a bit of it. I'm hoping Ravelry soon has the updated version of pattern search where you can enter in your yarn and how much you have (according to the "For the Love of Ravelry" board, it's in the works).

Next, I piggy-backed (or completely dominated) Cate's recent order to Knit Picks. My original intention was to get some of this in one of the heathered blues, but then I stumbled on the clearance section. For just a bit more than what I was going to spend on a sweater's worth of Swish, I got TWO sweaters worth of discounted Wool of the Andes

First up, destined to be a Sienna Cardigan, is "Stream"

(I'm DYING to cast this on. But I need to get Tussie Mussie done first. Which makes me very motivated to finish Tussie Mussie...only a few inches to go on sleeve #2 and then I join the sleeves to the body and we'll be able to see the finish line)

I also bought more than enough Pampas Heather to make a Cardigan for Arwen


I also ordered "The Opinionated Knitter" and some Harmony Cable needles (soo pretty!).

Then today, I came back from Tales for Tots at the library with Grace and found my package from the Hot Cocoa Swap on the table!! My pal Holly outdid herself, it's all awesome!

She included a really pretty mug, Starbucks mint hot chocolate, some hazelnut hot chocolate, gourmet Vanilla Bean marshmallows (holy cow, are they ever good!), two bars of Lindt hazelnut chocolate (mmmm), monogramed notecards, a harmony circ in size 3mm and one in size 2.5mm, knitpicks bare yarn (I wonder what colour this will be) and some Sophie's Toes sock yarn in the colourway "magical". She also included a stitch marker wallet with a butterfly button that had

butterfly stitch markers in it! The photo is not doing them justice at all, they are really very lovely.

And last, but certainly not least, is my Blues Buster Buddy!

Or...my Breast Pal!

I laughed so hard when I opened this, it's too funny! It appeals to me as a mom and lactivist, it's a hoot! And when I showed it to Gabriel he gave me his biggest grin and made the sign for milk!

Thanks Holly, you're awesome!

The Knits:

I had cast on Azure sock #2 and the other night I went to knit on it and could not find it. I had recently blocked the crap out of Gabriel's "Reverse Henry Sweater" since it fits him but the sleeves were a bit short (they aren't anymore, but it still needs a zipper..once that's in I'll post pics). Grace asked me if I was done her sweater, so I felt the need to get hers done.

I picked up her top down raglan and realized that I had not been knitting it because it was so boring. I pulled it off the needles and ripped 'er back.

This yarn (Cascade 220 Tweed) was bought at a discount and was intended to be a baby cable sweater from "Knitting for Babies". Once it was finished I realized I hated everything about it. So I left it unseamed, and eventually ripped it back and cast on the top down cardigan (improvised pattern). That was LAST SUMMER. It stalled big time once I reached the sleeves (stall occured mid summer).

For the final attempt, Wednesday night I cast on Baby Shrug from Simply Baby. It flew (for me) off the needles and Sunday night I finished up the ribbed collar and cuffs and blocked it.

Ladies and Gentlemen...We have acheived Sweater:

She loves it. I love that I finally finished something AND I used up almost all the yarn. The colurs are, uh...bold. And don't "go" with a lot of what she owns (she's modelling it here while wearing her Cinderella dress, lol!) But its purpose is to be the "bag sweater"...something that stays in the bag I lug around with the kids so if she gets cold she can toss it on. So...it works for us.

As I was weaving in the ends...my azure sock was spotted peeking from underneath my computer moniter.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

YAYAYAY!

I'm so glad you liked the package.. for a brief second after Holly mailed it I worried about the knitted breast buddies... I felt I knew you well enough to know you'd like them ,but then.. well... it's a tad risque... so... I'm just thrilled you like them so much!
Wahoo!

Anonymous said...

Boobs, yarn pron and adorable sweater-wearin' girl all in one post... who could ask for anything more?

Anonymous said...

Love Grace's new sweater - fit for a princess.

Gabriel MADE THE SIGN FOR MILK when he saw the knitted boobie?

Gobsmacked. I mean, I've heard about baby signing... (ok, so my only frame of reference is Meet the Fockers, but still).

Alison said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Alison said...

Steph, the only thing's she's missing is gratuitous baby content. So I guess in response to your "who could ask for anything more" question, the answer would be "me".

km said...

I won 2 skeins of SWS from the Spring Felted Bag Exchange...and I knit this http://www.knittingdaily.com/freepatterns/felted_items/45-1.html Anne (the Bag Lady) had knit it first. Of course I needed about 5 yards from a 3rd skein...but I think I tend to knit that way. I needed extra yardage for my huckleberry ascot too. If you make this purse...especially with the SWS...stretch it out a LOT after it's felted.

And the sweater is super cute. We go with the Hanna Andersson (google them) look most often...and then it doesn't matter that nothing matches. =0) Until you posted the Birthday pics, I didn't realize your little girl is so close in age to mine. R will be 3 in April.

Kathy R said...

That's definitely the most unique blues buster buddy! I just made an ordinary kitten.

Holly said...

I am so glad you got your package. I worried while knitting and after it was in the mail.

Ashley said...

All your yarn and goodies are wonderful! I am so jealous! :) Your projects are gorgeous, such an adorable little one to put them on too!

Cali said...

Wow, yarn boob. Takes knitting to a whole new level for me! love it :)

Darcys Knotty Knitter said...

You received a great package:)do you know when the next cocoa swap is? Hugs Darcy