Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Oh, What a Night!

And not in the fun way the song suggests either.

It all began when I discussed with Phil what to do about dinner. We realized quickly we need groceries, but no time we must eat now. He went off to pick up milk and bread so I could feed the children breakfast and lunch today while I got started on improvised bbq pork chops, baked potatoes for me and rice for everyone else.

So...did you know that potatoes can catch fire in the microwave? I learned that last night.

In the process of cleaning up after my wee fire I ruined the rice.

I cried when Phil raised his voice a little over my inattention in the kitchen. Which made him feel bad. (He's had a rough couple of days, so me ruining dinner AND the microwave was a bit much, but still one should not yell at a pregnant lady)

Cam had a drama over pork chops during our meal (which recovered nicely once Phil took over) and whether or not there was fat on his pieces.

An brief argument ensued with Phil over the handling of said drama. It was resolved 'o course.

I went off to knitting, where Moe made a scene (see it here and here)

I got home to a quiet house, and my husband and I curled up in bed to relax and go to sleep. However, the smell of smoke seemed to be embedded in EVERYTHING and it was too cold to open windows and air it out, so I had a hard time relaxing.

Then Grace woke up. She had fallen asleep at the table, and felt that 11:30 pm was a great time to wake up to play with Mommy and Daddy.

Just as we got her settled...the cat got a hold of her Winnie the Pooh balloon. We heard a ruckus out in the livingroom area. The best we can figure is that Molly started to play with the string, and got tangled in it, which freaked her out. Probably because to her, the balloon was now attacking her. She got away, and I found her completely freaked under Grace's bed. I also found that in her fear, she peed in foyer, down the hall and in Grace's doorway where she came to a stop. Phil was gracious enough to get up and mop. This was at 12:30 am.

By 1am we had Grace settled again, floor cleaned, cat calmed the heck down.

1:36, Grace starts hiccupping in her sleep. Then...she vomits on us. (She's still in our bed because everytime we tried to move her back to hers she woke up and cried). Up again we go to clean up. Grace sleepily asks "What you doin Mommy?" as I washed her. I don't think she was even aware that she had been sick. This morning she says to me as she wakes up "Hi Mum! Where's my shirt go?"

I was awoken twice by unhappy dreams. Once at 3:30 and again at 5am.

Cam decides that 6:20 am is a great time to start the day. I told him no, go back to bed it's too early. So every 10 minutes after he's back in our room "Is it time to get up yet?" At 7am I tell him to get into his room and do not come back until we go get him. Two minutes later, my alarm goes off, I hit the snooze button...and just as I settle in to enjoy those precious 10 minutes Cam returns with "Your alarm is going off, is it time to get up now?" Thankfully Phil hauled himself out of bed because I was torn between bursting into tears and hurling the alarm clock through the wall.

God I hope the todds nap today, and that everybody goes to bed early.

3 comments:

Steph said...

You paint such a glamourous picture of parenthood.

That being said, you could pretty much change all the names to those of some adults *cough, cough* musicians *cough, cough* I know, and you would get a pretty typical night out with supposed "grownups". Tee hee.

Megan said...

I can't find your email address so I thought I'd answer your question here in a comment.

The red/orange/yellow yarn is Cherry Tree Hill handpainted yarn in the colour "Sugar Maple". http://www.cherryyarn.com/cccolorways2.html

I bought it from The Sweet Sheep (www.thesweetsheep.com) and they have 5 skeins left. http://www.thesweetsheep.com/xcart/product.php?productid=51&cat=6&page=4

1 skein made both my socks with some leftover!

Anonymous said...

I don't have a toddler - thank goodness for now. However, the dog puked up an entire bowl/stomach of dog food the other morning after a too enthusiastic walk. She also tends to puke up little peices of sticks about once a month at 4 am.

Did I ever mention her issues with chronic colitis as a puppy? That was fun.

I figure we are in training...that said, dog poop/puke is SO less noxious that what comes out of little humans.