Sunday, March 18, 2007

The Nesting continues....

I received two packages in the mail this week. I love getting parcels, it's very exciting.

The first was my care package from the Mothering Due Date Club swap. The mama who "drew" my name is from Vermont (the mama I sent to is in California, I've been tracking the package, it's still in Canada), and this is what she sent for me:



The paper bag in the back is a "New Mama Herbal Bath", basically a tea for my, uh...girly parts after I have the baby. It's supposed to really help with healing. To the right of the bath tea is a pack of handmade Thank You cards, in front of the bag is a bar of dark chocolate with blueberries in it. Next to the bar is a tin of Faerybum Salve, a fantastic diaper rash cream. And in front are two sets of organic cotton nursing pads, which are supposedly so absorbant that they can be worn all day without leaks (we'll see about that!). Not pictured is the Superman activity book she sent for Cam and the 2 packs of stickers she sent up for Grace.

Package #2 was the stuff I ordered from Parenting By Nature



The big boxes are the diaper packages. The left one is Grace's with 24 regular sized pre-folds, 4 Bummis Whisper wraps, a snappi fastener and flushable liners. The baby's has 36 infant sized pre-folds, 6 wraps, a snappi and liners. Down in front, my two sets of cashmere breastpads, 2 more snappis (I lost and/or broke several in the first year that I was cloth diapering Grace, I figured I had better stock up!) and a bottle of Euculan Lavendar wool wash.

Last night we went out and bought a shelving unit which will sit on the change table (which is something Phil made years ago, it started as a side by side dresser, but he ran out of wood, so it became a desk...but it was really too large to be a desk. However it's a fantastic change table), but Phil has not assembled it yet so I have not gotten things washed and put away yet. I thought about assembling it myself, then getting going with the orgnaizing process...but then realized that Phil would be super pissed if I lifted it onto the table by myself, so I guess I'll let him do his manly thing when he gets off of work.

While I was sorting baby clothes, I also found these:



These pants (from the Aubrey Doodlepants soaker pattern) that I made for a 6 month old Grace was my 2nd knitting project ever. I made a dishcloth...then jumped right into knitting in the round, short rows, etc. Took me 3 attempts. They are a lime green colour that is sort of grinchy, the yarn is Sheldridge Farms Superwash Merino and I think the colour was called "Limeade", and when I bought it I also bought a skein of "Pink Lemonde" that was later striped with a navy blue into another pair of pants. I loved wearing these on her, especially when someone would say "oh those are really cute pants, where did you get them?" And I got to say "I made them" and grin like an idiot. I paired them with a nice pink top or a green and yellow striped shirt and she wore them all the time until one day I could not deny any more that they were too short. I am sure I must have pics of her in them somewhere, if I find one I'll post it.

I also started packing my bag for the hospital stay:



Yeah, it looks like I packed a lot of clothes for the baby, and yeah I did pack more than what was recommended. But, when I was in hospital with Grace, I ran out of clothes for her and had to send Phil home with dirties to be washed and brought back. Twice. Granted, we were in hospital a bit longer than usual, but Grace went through 3 outfits her first day of wearing clothes (without getting into details...her diapers were too large. The hospital provides size ones...but Nana came to the rescue with newborn ones). So I have extras this time. I also packed extra jammies for me since I ended up having to get Phil to bring me clothes too. Also tucked into the case is the baby hedgehog. It's so cute, I just want to bite it's wee nose.

I finished the baby's sweater and the bonnet:



The hat looks a wee bit on the small side, but then it's the same size as the one Grace wore home which was actually a bit big on her. I bought blue star buttons in case we are having a boy and pink hearts for a girl. The ribbon is going to be woven into the edge along the bottom of the hat to tie it on. I am planning to do booties too, but I have not decided on a pattern for them, though I may wing it like I did the bonnet.

Last night I also cast on the Baby Shrug (Debbie Bliss "Simply Baby") in a nice dusty rose colour for my cousin's daughter who will be turning 2 the end of April. I'm hoping to have it done and sent soon so I don't have to worry about it as I get closer to my due date.

And finally, another bit of very good news. My beloved Husband was hooking up our new DVD player in our bedroom and was setting it up on my dresser. In the process, he found my missing chocolate bar!



"Babe!" he says "take the wrapper off first!"

Mmmm...hazelnutty goodness...

5 comments:

Megan said...

Want baby hedgehog! Want chocolate bar!

Steph said...

I am relieved to see that neither you nor the baby will be running about the hospital in your birthday suits.

I'm also relieved to see that the chocolate bar has been found. That was a huge cliffhanger!

jkleclerc said...

The sweater and hat are very cute. What a lucky baby!
And there is nothing better than finding chocolate... except maybe finding cash.

Cate said...

I love that little sweater set. It is sooooo cute! I am glad to hear the chocolate was found. mmmmm.... chocolate, drat, now I've got a craving.

Anonymous said...

Thank goodness the chocolate was found. I can sleep again :)

You are one super duper organized mommy!

Gosh, there is a lot of neat baby swag out there...