Monday, March 12, 2007

I believe they call this "Nesting"

I had an appointment with my OB this past Thursday (at this point I visit the good doctor every two weeks, my guess is after my next appointment I'll be there weekly) and she looked at me with the same shocked expression that everyone else seems to be "Good lord woman! Look at that belly!" (I seem to recall a dr's appointment around this gestation time with Grace and Phil being with me...and Dr Delisle looking at him saying "What the heck did you do to her??"). After measuring, feeling for baby's placement and (my fav) listening to the heartbeat, she looks at me and says "You're gonna have a baby soon." Really? I was unaware...sheesh.

But as I left I started thinking...according to the timeline, I've about 3 weeks before this baby could safely come at any time. Technically, it could come any time now, and most likely would be grand.

And I am NOT READY!!!

So Friday I was able to order my diaper packages (I ordered one each of the infant and regular packages, since Grace's pre-folds are wearing out and I've already had to toss out two, so I don't think they'll make it through her potty-training let alone another baby. But in the year and a half plus that I got out of them, totally worth the money I spent buying them), a couple snappies, and my cashmere/merino breast pads from www.parentingbynature.com. I also updated the gift registry I have on there to reflect more of my wants rather than needs. I cast on a baby sweater, which is coming along but I'll post pics when it's all finished. Friday night we went up to Sears and used the $50 gift certificate that we got when we redeemed our Sears Card points and I got a nice white diaper wrap, cotton breast pads, a sleeper and a little outfit. As we were leaving Sears I saw this adorable baby hedgehog stuffie. Too cute (although I just now realized that I forgot to take pictures of it).

Saturday...Nesting went into full gear. I tidied Grace's room...then attacked her closet. I pulled out the boxes of clothes that were in there and I sorted. First I dug out the few items that were handed down to her that she has not quite grown into, then I went through her drawers and took out everything that she's just now grown out of. Then I sorted and put away things (this time thinking ahead and putting the larger stuff on the bottom of the box), got rid of stuff that was badly stained or were handed down to her and I kept even though I never wore on her. Then I went through all the wee baby stuff, and pulled out the gender neutrals and the blues in the new baby stuff and tossed them into the hamper to be refreshed.

This is what the room looked like:



To the left is the box of things Grace has recently grown out of. The pile in front is all her stuff from her first year, the pile on the chair is all the 0-6 months stuff that is pink.



This is the hamper full of 0-6 months gender neutral stuff.

As I sorted, the memories flowed like crazy. I found the sleepers and outfits that I bought in blind panic the day I was put off work; I missed my bus because I could barely walk I was in so much pain. Off to the hospital we went, and discovered I was dialating already (this was a month before my due date). My dr debated on whether or not to admit me, then decided to send me home with instructions to take it easy. I believe my response was "I can't be done work, I have programming I need to do!" She looked at me like I had lost my freakin mind. I grabbed Phil's arm and told him we needed to go directly to the mall...we're not ready!!!! I was not able to relax until everything was purchased and ready to pack in my suitcase for the hospital.
I also found the little J-Lo style sweatsuit a classmate gave her right after she was born, these little pants are no longer than my forearm!! I came across the clothes I bought on sale the day Janet and I went shopping...and I went into labour that night. I found the sleepers my mom bought at Sears the afternoon Grace was born; on her way to the hospital she went in and told the salesperson "I have a brandnew granddaughter, I need girl stuff." I found the gorgeous sweater that Melissa brought to the hospital as a welcome gift. Tiny jeans, a little "jean" jacket, little dresses...my baby girl was very well dressed indeed.

And to top it all off...the smallest socks in history:



Not even 2 inches long in the foot!!

After the sort was over, four loads of baby laundry were done (during which Grace was quite distressed that the baby hedgehog was going into the dryer), drawers were organized, items were set aside for packing into the hospital bag, a bag of clothes was bundled for donation, and a flat-out exhausted mama was sent to the bathtub for a long soak.

Can't wait for the diapers to arrive so I can organize them, and then a trip to the mall is in order to pick up the last of the items needed for the hospital trip (including some disposable diapers for Grace to take to Nana-land, which is rule #1 for my mom "I will watch my grandchildren as long as I do not have to deal with cloth diapers" which is funny, because she cloth diapered my brothers. She's ok with them when she watches the kids here, but then all the supplies, including the mini-shower rinser, are here). Then...I will be giving baby the go-ahead.

3 comments:

Steph said...

When you're done there, I've got some closets that need to be cleaned out.

Anonymous said...

...and I have a basement that desperately needs reorganizing.

Alison said...

I'm sorry Lesley, I don't see how Grace's room looks any different from normal?

Just kidding! You made quite a mess.