We had the memorial this afternoon, and while I knew Grampy Gabe was a loving and generous man, albeit a gruff and opinionated one (as his son said "His philosophy was it's 'my way or my way', and 'pay attention the first time, I don't like to repeat myself'"), and I knew that he was involved in the legion and CNAG (he was on the planning committee for Rememberance Day celebrations and worked on the fundraising/planning team for the Juno Beach memorial), I did not know many other things about the extent of his charity. Gabe was a humble man, did not like to toot his own horn. He was active in sports as a young man, and very active as a mentor and coach for youth sport in Dartmouth. He was a founding member of the Dartmouth Boys and Girls club. It was so apparent that he touched many lives...the funeral home was packed today with people who wished to pay their respects. We should all leave such a mark on the world.
Memory after memory flooded to me today, and I think I cried hardest when they mentioned his beloved pond. During the summer, several weeks before my wedding, Grampy Gabe decided that I had to have a great place for photos, and even though he was very ill, got up and began making the pond look it's best. His son came to visit, and took over the physical labour with Grampy bellowing directions. He worked himself to exhaustion so I would have a beautiful backdrop. And I did...I hope he knows how thankful I am to have had him in my life.
I also wanted to share this photograph. I think it sums up how much he loved his children, grandchildren, and how pleased he was to be made a great-grandfather. He sat for hours holding Grace, even taking a nap with her, on this day.

Gabriel "Gabe" Desrochers 1931-2007
1 comment:
Love the photo. Thinking of you.
Post a Comment