I'm actually a bit late this year with my decorating, there have been years that I have decorated the night of the Halifax Tree Lighting Ceremony (usually the last weekend of November), but I always have had my tree up by December 1st. Oh well, so we're late, and I'm not quite finished yet...it still looks like Christmas just came and threw up in my apartment.
Let's start with the tree shall we? I should tell you, this is the last year for this tree. So if anyone knows of anybody who needs a free artificial tree I am going to give it away after Christmas. But before you all rush at me shouting "pick me!" I feel I should tell you why I am getting this tree out of my house. I've had it for 5 years, and I received it from a co-worker who used it happily for 7 or 8 years before that. So it's a bit old and starting to show signs of wear. But that's not why I want it gone. This tree hates me. It hates being hauled out of the quiet of the storage locker and having it's limbs arranged and lights strung upon it. It shows its displeasure my scratching me viciously every year. My arms are covered in long scratches and I have a particularly bad cut on my pinky finger where the skin is tender anyway from my eczema. I get the branches sorted, then I start on the lights, and the tree will twist, fuss and bend it branches so that I am constantly having to re-adjust the thing. Once the lights are on, the tree is pretty good at allowing us to place ornaments, and we have many many ornaments to decorate with. It looks lovely once it's all done. Then I went to put the star on...and I am telling you the tree pulled it away from me and if it were not for Phil holding on to me to make sure I did not fall, I would have been in the tree. So, take the tempermental jerk of a tree at your own risk. I'm sick of fighting with it and am planning to buy a nice pre-lit tree in the after Christmas sales. At the same time though, I don't want to just throw it out. It has a few more Christmases in it yet...it's more of a personality clash.
Here it is in all it's glory:

In the arch entering the living room we have the festive garland complete with mistletoe! To the left you see our Advent Santa, there are red and green M&M's in his pockets...Grace points him and says "I want it..yum yum"

Over here we have a fine collection of Santas. The one in blue was made by my aunt, the porcelian was a gift from my Dad, the tin one is actually a lamp my pal Janet gave me last year. I can't reach the plug to light him up, it's on Phil's "to-do" list, which means he won't be shining this year. Next to Tin Santa is a candle I received as a gift from one my students at daycare. The story that goes with it is that the mom had a co-worker who painted the candles, so she asked her to make a lot of them for gifts. She figures that by the time she got to the candles for the daycare teachers the painter was sick of snowmen, because they all look a little pissed off. My cranky snowman is probably one of my favourites.

On top of the bookshelf we have the Navity Scene, watched over by a giant snowman who lights up, dances and sings when you squeeze his hand.

Here we see that I apparently have a Grinch infestation in my walls, this one likes to dangle mistletoe over my kitchen doorway

Ok...stockings hung? Check! Antlers on the toddler? Check!

Cat decorated? Check!

Molly says "I'll get you for this human!"
It may seem like a lot, but honestly I have more in my closet that I am not putting out because I have run out of surfaces that the girl can't reach. There is also a bowl full of small red and white Christmas balls on the table next to my Santa salt and pepper shakers and the candy dishes that spell JOY. There is a big Santa head...in the bathroom. My final touch will be to wrap my front door to look like a presnt.
I love Christmas!!!
(ETA: I reposted it, and still many could not see the pics, including me. I just reloaded all the pics and it seems to be working now, I hope!)
3 comments:
Sadly, still can't see them at home or work. Did manage to see them while at my parents' though!
I can see them! I can see them!
Wow! That is some hardcore decorating- looks great!
Post a Comment