Saturday, September 12, 2009

Dear Sweater,

I am not sure where we went wrong here. We started off great, your stitches flying, inches adding up, cables turning out beautifully. Loppem, you are lovely sweater and I look forward to wearing you.

Why are you being so difficult now that I've reached the yoke?

Here's the thing...when I do a stitch count and get that right, then meticulously do the increase round I fully expect to have the right number of stitches when I am done. But I didn't. So I spent an hour (a whole freaking hour) going over each stitch trying to see where I went wrong. When it was clear that I was not wrong, I started searching online to find pattern errata (because sometimes it really isn't user error), only to find that while there is some I have the updated pattern so it doesn't apply.

I decide to simply do away with the extra stitches and carefully planned that out. This only made our problems worse. Because now you don't have enough stitches. I know I decreased the right number. Where are these stitches, I ask you sweater?!

I can only suspect that you are angry with me. You must have heard me saying that I didn't think you were long enough and that I planned to wait until you were done to be sure of the length, but chances are good that I'd be undoing your cast on edge and adding a cable repeat. I don't know if I'll need to or not, can we please wait until the moment arrives to be upset about this?

Maybe you're insulted that I decided that a wool sweater really should have sleeves and have plans to alter the pattern to make full sleeves. Look, I live in a cold climate. Sweaters without sleeves are not a lot of use to me. Shrugs are a different story, but I wouldn't make a shrug out of pure cozy wool. It's not a reflection of your design, just a reality of living in Nova Scotia.

Or maybe your feelings are hurt because I ordered two more skeins of yarn to make sure I have enough. I assure you that you are not lacking just because I need more.

The fiasco the other night was regrettable. Angry words were spoken, and I'm sorry I threw you to the floor.

All that said, I do think we need a break from one another. Just a little one. I'll pick you back up, I promise.

In the meantime, please do not feel threatened by my casting on Margot. I just needed something simple to work on in the interim. Signs of Fall are everywhere, I will need more than one sweater.

Yours with love,

Lesley

5 comments:

Steph VW said...

thanks for pointing out the new knitty! I hadn't seen it yet.

Sorry to hear the sweater is giving you grief. Perhaps you should send it to "finishing school". heh heh.

The Ninja Knitter said...

I noticed that you and Margot seem to be more than a flirtation, eh? I mean, the way that you're zipping along, caressing each stitch...Don't worry, I won't tell on you.

Ali P said...

Oohhh...my fave LYS Effiloche has Loppem as a sample in the store. My Ginette (shop owner) has lost so much weight since opening the shop she can actually WEAR some of those tiny store sample. Me so jealous but she is cozy and warm! LOL have you looked in the newer Blackstone Tweed booklet of patterns? Puuuuurrrrrr. I love Nonpareil and Nuss.
I hope Loppem starts behaving and that Margot continues to treat you right. How did your hubby make out in Montreal??

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
KnittyBitch said...

Aw muffin...

I am sorry that the sweater appears to have taken it's mind to angry actions and reactions.

Maybe it is just an adolescent stage, and in a week (which is my example of a human to sweater age equivalent) it will be over the "I hate you" phase. If not, soak it heavily in wine and try to take advantage of it while it is inebriated.

hugs...