Monday, June 15, 2009

Yarn and Naked Bike Riders.

Saturday was World Wide Knit In Public Day, and Berkeley and I got our organization hats on again this year and this event was even better than last year's, which was pretty freakin awesome. We didn't have as many knitters come out this year (the threat of rain kept some away) but nearly everyone went away with a prize of some kind, and we have great events and lots and lots of fun.

Speaking of prizes....

Those were all donated by various businesses, independent sales reps for different companies, local indie dyers and individuals who dug into their stashes or got their craft on to come up with goodies for us. I am still amazed at the generosity shown to us. Thank you all!

We had door prizes (lots of them!), plus we had speed knitting competition, a knitted item competition, photo scavenger hunt + tasks at each yarn shop, we collected donations for Bryony House and held a stash swap

Which I hadn't intended on "shopping" from, but when Shannon showed up with her bag of fibre from Pacafiesta I couldn't resist. I have to say, enabling Shannon and Ann into big bags of fibre worked out really well for me, as all of theirs has made it way to my fibre stash, lol!

At one point our event collided with another crazy event happening in Halifax....

Yep...Naked people on bikes. See the news story here It was nice to know we weren't the most insane group in the city Saturday!

If you want to see more pics from our WWKIP event, see them here

So that was a pretty big high, even though I was exhausted and my gall bladder decided it would have a fit at the end, overall the day was really fantastic.

Sunday was not such a happy day...

My little brother, who got married last year, moved away to Ottawa.

His wife was accepted into med school there, which is fantastic and exciting, and my brother will hopefully be working in a fancy restaurant in the city which is a great opportunity for him...but still. We're pretty close as a family so to see one of us leave is hard. I cried a lot, so did everyone else.

(not that you can tell in this pic, since it was taken between teary eyes)

I know they are going to be ok. I know that this is an exciting adventure for them. But I also know that I'm not going to stop worrying for them or stop missing them until they are home. I'm very much looking forward to Christmas. And we're planning to go up to visit them too (anyone know where the good yarn shops are in Ottawa?).

The upside is that when I'm upset I tend to knit more....I've cast on 3 projects and made some serious progress on them this weekend.

6 comments:

dontcareravelry said...

Yarn Forward on Bank Street is where I got my goodies in Ottawa. They have a customer appreciation card as well. It's right across the street from The Works which has to be the best burger place I've ever been to. They have dozens of them on the menu. Home made milkshakes that come in Pyrex measuring cups as well.

Miss Me said...

naked bike riding??? i don't want to even think about the potential for road rash!

i didn't get to KIP so am feeling sorry for myself... it looks like you had another fabulous event! i may have to make a weekend trip to halifax next year.

Steph VW said...

Tears of laughter and tears of sad all in one post.

You had a heckuva weekend.

Valerie said...

so sorry that I had to miss WWKIP!

I think it's mighty interesting that you seem to have more pictures of NAKED BIKE RIDERS than you do of knitters, tho. Just sayin'.

Ditto Yarn Forward in Ottawa- that's where I got the kit for the poinsettia shawl that we gave away at WWKIP last year.

lulubelle said...

lol Val...I was wondering who would point that out!

I sort of stood there with my mouth open and holding down the button. Not so much taking pictures as frozen in position...the camera did the rest!

My word verifcation is "tantle"...lol

Unknown said...

I second (third) the Yarn Forward recommendation. Also, there is a cafe in the Byward Market called "oh so good" that only sells coffee and deserts! Mmm... Lot's of fun museums for the kidlets around too.