Beliefs and Customs
...people in the land of Knitting have their own beliefs, superstitions and customs. One of these suggests that a master knitter place knitting needles in the hands of a baby to make sure that the infant will pick up the practice.pg 195
When Gabriel was new I would take him to knit night where he would charm the ladies and distract them from their knitting while I got to have some grown up conversation and maybe actually get to knit a stitch or two.
One night we did indeed have someone place needles in his hands, Steph did the honours

(she took a much better pic and yes I have a copy. I can't find it, but I know it's in the computer somewhere...)
Well....
Friday night we held a big stash swap and traded stuff we had for other stuff we coveted. I initially had intended to walk away with nothing, for me it was a clearing out exercise, but someone brought pretty pink sock yarn and once I started bagging stuff for me, well, I brought home more than I intended.
I get home and the small boy greets me at the door enthusiastically and I drop my bags on the table and tell Phil about the night.
I turn around to find that Gabriel has helped himself to a Ziploc bag of Araucania organic cotton. He had his face right in the bag, and was sniffing the yarn. He then says in this excited but reverent voice "Wow."
I think we might just have a budding fibre enthusiast on our hands.
4 comments:
I think it was the magic of my grandmother, my dear extra mother (Bessie), my mom, my aunt Jan and my great-aunties, that coursed through those needles. All of those women taught me something about knitting and to tell you the truth, I'm not sure which one of them put the needles in my hands.
That's a lot of mojo for a little baby. If he doesn't knit, I'll be shattered.
I'm glad he enjoys it. I didn't like the thick and thin texture so out the door it went.
How cute.. but you realize you're going to have to watch your stash, now.
Post a Comment