Saturday, January 24, 2009

I win at knitting!

Ever work on a pattern that is totally trying kick your ass? I'm sure we've all been there, and there have been times when I've said screw it and moved on to more agreeable projects.

Every now and then though I meet a project that I am not going to let beat me. Something that has to be knit into submission.

Cat Mittens were such a pattern.

Cate's making them, out of cashmere (lucky duck!), I opted to use up the sloth kit (scroll way down on that post to see it) which is made up of the Footprints yarn from Unique Sheep.

I started knitting but found that the slightly shaded brown tended to blend with some of the colours in the multi and I was losing definition on design. I ripped back and re-skeined the brown and tossed it into the dye pot. Once it was a deep black (and dry) I cast on again.

I knit to almost the thumb and realized that it was too small.

Ripped it back again. Have you ever ripped back colourwork? It's a mess of tangle.

Cast on again, this time with bigger needles (I used a 3mm) and it seemed to be working. I had a few mess-ups here and there, but it started to work out.

I finished mitten one and started sailing through mitten two. Thursday afternoon I was nearly to the decreases on fingertips when I suddenly realized to my horror that I had neglected to start the paw print. Riiiiipppp.

Yesterday after a very long morning I sat down with the mitten and knit. I refused to get up for anything (other than nature calling of course) and I knit that mitten until it was complete.

And I gotta say, I'm pretty frickin pleased with myself right now.

Edited to add: I forgot to post where to find the pattern. Here it is (scroll down) Looking over his site I think there are a few other patterns I might like to get and knit up. Beautiful stuff! And there is a sock version of the mitten!

9 comments:

fitncrafty said...

Those are just amazing! I love them.. Where did you find the pattern. My daughter would love them!
You should be impressed, nothing better than conquering a project!

cksknitter said...

Just gorgeous! I also have the club yarn and I don't like the hat pattern it came with. Now I have a better idea of what to do with it. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

congratulations on not letting the knitting kick your ass. I too had a 'sit down' knitting session yesterday and am glad I stuck it out (mind you I was working on an entirely different project).

Love the finished item - enjoy!

Cate said...

Even with all that ripping, and starting at least a week after me, you're still done first. I'm still on the swirly part of mitt number 2. They're lovely, I can't wait until mine are done!

Ann said...

You are simply amazing my dear!

dontcareravelry said...

They turned out beautifully! Maybe one day I'll be up to the challenge, but I doubt it. I'll just live vicariously through you.

Erin said...

Gorgeous! Love the colorwork! I am so not brave enough to do it yet :)

Oh, I am ESWM on trolls :)

Ursula said...

"knit into submission" - I love it! Take that yarn! I find myself saying stuff like that.

The mittens are awesome - Love the paw print!! I'll have to check out that site. Thanks!

Robyn - said...

you rock! those mits remind me of a hat I knit for Gabe years ago....must find a picture (or take one) I haven't knit with more than one colour in years....4.5 yrs actually..the exact age of my son ;)