Monday, October 27, 2008

Wicked

Apparently when I say I'll "post my other new yarn tomorrow" it's code for "I'll show you in a week, give or take a day".

Anyhoo...

While I was away the mail carrier brought me goodies! I'm sure my husband was alarmed by the BOX arriving from Yarn Pirate, but good man that he is he neither fainted nor sent any back.

At the last shop update I scored me some goodies!


The red and black is called "Shiver Me Timbers", and I love the intensity of those colours together. The undyed is 1 of 5 skeins, she was selling off her dk weight at a great price (go check it out, she still has some left) and a skein of Smokerings the Booty Club selection for this month (it arrived early this month, I was so excited!).

The second package was the Wicked Witch of the West kit I ordered from Woolgirl


These kits could get addictive real quick! Contained in this one was the yarn, a project bag, jelly beans, orange-coloured hot chocolate, a witch pez dispenser, a tin for stitch markers (my stitch marker was missing, but Jenn is sending it out with next installment of Seven Deadly Spins...which I'm getting free because I won a caption contest, whoot!), a pattern (called "Where's my broom?"), notepads with movie lines and the most awesome pen. See the wee broomstick? That's the pen!! How fun!

Close-up of the yarn, which is by tvyarns and called "Wicked Witch of the West"

The bag was made by Rachel, of the etsy store called "Made". Very cute stuff there.

There was also a bookmark, and the note recommended reading the book Wicked. I'd heard of Wicked the musical and I was drawn to it then. When Berkeley seconded the recommended read...well, I went out and bought it.


And...wow. I picked it up last night and haven't really put it down. The writing reminds me a bit of my beloved Stephen King, where the author sort of suffers from diarrhea of the word processor, but you love it because it paints such a vivid picture of what is going on. I'm already looking forward to reading Maguire's other titles (especially Confession of an Ugly Stepsister). I love folk and fairy tales, and I love spins on them...frankly I'm sort of sad I've only discovered this author now, but I'm pleased there is so much of his stuff out there to read. (Yes, mom, you can borrow it when I'm done. In fact, I think I might insist you do!)

3 comments:

Ann said...

"While I was away the mail carrier brought me goodies! I'm sure my husband was alarmed by the BOX arriving from Yarn Pirate, but good man that he is he neither fainted nor sent any back."

Good man or smart man?

dontcareravelry said...

Too bad the yarn club isn't taking new members. I looked, I whined, I accepted my loss.

Stephanie N said...

Dude-half my library is fairy tales and spins on them-no wonder I lurves you!